Isle of Pines/Lifou Snorkelling

mackel

Hi everyone,

I am going on a cruise this month and would love to see some snorkelling. My question is how to get to the Natural Aquarium in Isle of Pines and Jinek in Lifou from the ship? I have never been to these places before and so would like some instructions that I can print out to help me get there once I get off the ship! Thanks in advance :D

In Isle of Pines there are two 'swimming' spots within walking distance of where the cruise tenders set you down - when you towards the island from the boat, the water on the right hosts the best snorkelling. There is a spot to the left of the big rock (you really can't miss it) or on the further shore from this rock. You can tell where the spots are because everyone else is snorkelling there!

Don't forget to go to the left side body of water too though - and get to swim with some marine turtles!

In Lifou, go to Jinek, it's walking distance again from where the cruise tender let's you off, about 10 minutes. You need to buy a pass onboard the ship to do this. There is also a cave (no snorkelling) that's pretty cool. Walk to right at top of road, past the church. There is a stall selling coconuts and a little archway. For a few $$ each you can walk on bit of a downhill trek to a cave with an indoor swimming hole. It gets pretty busy on cruise days but still kinda cool!

For Jinek bay, when you get off the tender walk to the left towards the township, most likely they will have stalls and things. Follow the road to the top of the small hill and you will be at a T intersection. Go left and a few minutes walk you will see a road on your right. This is Jinek bay. We were on royal carribean so we didn't have to buy passes on the ship, they sold them at the bay. But when it's a carnival ship the ship organizes them onboard. There were also lots of turtles next to the pier where the tenders come in, we had a great time snorkeling with them.

Take your own equipment with you though, I did notice some being rented but I wouldn't trust that they were clean :)

For Jinek bay, when you get off the tender walk to the left towards the township, most likely they will have stalls and things. Follow the road to the top of the small hill and you will be at a T intersection. Go left and a few minutes walk you will see a road on your right. This is Jinek bay. We were on royal carribean so we didn't have to buy passes on the ship, they sold them at the bay. But when it's a carnival ship the ship organizes them onboard. There were also lots of turtles next to the pier where the tenders come in, we had a great time snorkeling with them.

Take your own equipment with you though, I did notice some being rented but I wouldn't trust that they were clean :)

Thank you so much! Hopefully I can find it :)

Just returned from a Pacific cruise with RCL. Made sure we were off ship early and went straight to Janek Bay. Paid the man our $15 each and snorkeled in peace for approx an hour before it became too crowded. Quality of snorkeling not as good as when we went in 2014- not sure they are restricting numbers as they did in 2014.

As long as you follow the road all the way up the slope until you hit the T intersection with the paved road, you will be fine. I'm pretty sure there is a road sign as well. There is a little road that branches off to the left before you get to the correct one, we were following another group and we all walked down this one before realizing we went the wrong way lol. There is only one road (more like a dirt path really) that goes up through the little town, so just keep going up until you hit the bitumin road and you'll find it no problems :D