Making a Decision - Colon Shore Excursions

archerniak

My DH and I are trying to decide which tour/shore excursion to take on an upcoming Panama Canal cruise (Sept-Oct 2015). I realize that we will not go wrong with either of our choices, but we can't seem to come to a decision. It is between a visit to the Embrera Indian village or the New Locks.

If you have gone on either of these excursions/tours let me know which one and why you decided to go on that one. As well as the best thing about the tour for you as well as what may not been that great on the tour. Thank you.

My DH and I are trying to decide which tour/shore excursion to take on an upcoming Panama Canal cruise (Sept-Oct 2015). I realize that we will not go wrong with either of our choices, but we can't seem to come to a decision. It is between a visit to the Embrera Indian village or the New Locks.

If you have gone on either of these excursions/tours let me know which one and why you decided to go on that one. As well as the best thing about the tour for you as well as what may not been that great on the tour. Thank you.

I take it you are doing a full transit in September? Well, I tried to to look at X's description of the tour to the new locks, but could not find it easily so I gave up! Since I don't know what the tour to the new locks consists of I might be not making an informed decision. The visitor's center for the new locks is very nice, some video presentations, great view of the complex and surrounding area. Depending on when you go the new locks may have been flooded and operational testing begun. So, it may look more like a completed project by the time you get there. On many of the cruise line tours the trip to the new locks and whatever else they may throw in to round out a tour is one of the shorter tours offered. I guess the "problem" is you are really not going to see much of Panama on the shore excursion if the bulk of the tour is just going to the new locks.

Presently many shore excursions take you to both the new locks and the present Gatun Locks, going to Gatun Locks may not be offered once the new locks are in their testing and training phase... just a possibility. I bring this up because it could make a short shore ex even shorter if other stops at areas of interest are not included.