San Juan to Rincon

cruiser69420

Hi,

To any locals who read this, I am sorry to hear about the recent hurricane and I hope you and your family are okay :(.

Coming November 17th I'll be flying into San Juan and taking a 7 day cruise, afterwards from Nov 26th to the 2nd of December I have a week to waste until we catch our flight.

We were thinking of Rincon as we like to feel safe(we heard the west coast is safer than the east coast, last time we were in San Juan there was a drive by shooting close to where we were staying), has seaglass, be someplace that is chill and rent a nice AirBnB by the ocean.. this is our honeymoon :)

Saying that, if the island does recover from the hurricane, I guess the best way to get from San Juan to Rincon would be to rent a car? I checked car rental prices and they're like $500CAD for the week which is quite pricey. I checked out Charlie Car Rental but they seem to be away due to the hurricane.

Any suggestions or recommendations of a different place to stay thats closer?

Rincón and the northwest coast are beautiful, I hope you can go! Try carrentals.com, they list budget companies that are often not included on major travel engines like Expedia, Orbitz, etc. If you make it to Rincon make sure to check the beaches in Isabela (Jobos) and Aguadilla (Crash Boat) as well. This will be a 30-45 minute drive from Rincón. You can also check lodging in that area and travel from there to Rincón. You can't go wrong staying at any of these towns and you can "hop" with time to spare between all of them in a day.

If you go to the northwest I highly recommend taking the time to drive south to the Cabo Rojo/Pargueras area. It's beautiful and very lively. Again, you can do this and come back in a few hours but you'll probably want to spend the whole day or at least a whole evening there. The nightlife is a lot of fun and I don't mean in a clubbing way. Outdoor performances, little local shops, food, very walkable.

All of this is, of course, being optimistic that the hurricane damage will be much more under control by December. Regardless of where you stay I really encourage you to venture out of San Juan because there is so much more to discover outside the metro area. People are friendly and will treat you well anywhere you go in PR. If you can't find an affordable rental car for the week try to at least get one for a day and go explore! The island is only 100 miles long and 35 miles wide, you have plenty time :).

I hope you have a great honeymoon!