tromso dog sledding question

bobbisailsolo

It me again...bobbi....:D

I am very interested in dog sledding whilst in Tromso. It is offered as a shore excursion on my hurtigruten winter voyage. For fitness level it is labeled a 3 out of a possible 3.

First, how strenuous will it be. I am 61, in okay health, but certainly not at my prime. I read someone had to push their sled up a hill, which would be difficult for me....

Second, is it possible to do as a single person. Looks like its designed for 2 and you take turns driving. Im really not interested in doing the driving.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also saw reindeer sledding in Tromso may be offered..Do you think that would be any easier? Both sound like a lot of fun..

ive also so posted on the Tromso board. thanks for any feedback.

Edited by bobbisailsolo

We did our dog sledding near Kirkenes in early March last year & never had to get off the sled. The uphill sections were brief and not at all steep. Each sled had a musher & as far as I could tell, no-one else got the opportunity to do that job themselves, probably because of time constraints. I think I read that the sledding at Tromso is occasionally cancelled due to lack of snow. That might be less likely further North, although our musher did say that he was concerned about how much longer the snow would last as it had been unseasonably mild (it was -12c).

We're both in our early 60's & had no trouble.

Edited by BORDER REIVER

We did our dog sledding near Kirkenes in early March last year & never had to get off the sled. The uphill sections were brief and not at all steep. Each sled had a musher & as far as I could tell, no-one else got the opportunity to do that job themselves, probably because of time constraints. I think I read that the sledding at Tromso is occasionally cancelled due to lack of snow. That might be less likely further North, although our musher did say that he was concerned about how much longer the snow would last as it had been unseasonably mild (it was -12c).

We're both in our early 60's & had no trouble.

Thanks so much for responding! As youve probably read, Im going at the exact same time you went! i am going to take a look at your blog in just a few minutes. I did call hurtigruten and Josh told me it should be no problem if I can handle some lumps and bumps. So just wondering how cold was it when you went sledding. I live in Michigan, where the weather gets very very cold in the winter. Im thinking it may not be any colder there than here! Did you keep warm on the excursion? I read a couple of reviews, some say kirkenes is better, some say tromso. did they provide clothing for you to wear, as they do on the tromso sleds? Do you recall if the reindeer sledding was offered? I am so excited about this "cruise" I also have a northern isles booked with holland america in the summer, but I am actually looking more forward to this one. It just seems like such an adventure to me... cruising in the cold and watching the skies. And I love the idea that I dont have to dress up and its totally casual.. If there are any suggestions you have regarding this trip, I would welcome them.

Bobbi

When you've read the right part of my blog, most of your questions will have been answered. Most people did use the clothing provided but we already had our own mountaineering clothing, so were warm enough (and happier in our own gear).

Reindeer sledding wasn't an option.

By the time we travelled by bus from the port to the husky place and got sixty people on their sled ride, then back to the port, the ship was ready to sail.

The minus 12c that we experienced, was apparently quite warm for Kirkenes at that time of year. We were told it can be a lot colder.

The visit to the snow hotel was a bonus.

When you've read the right part of my blog, most of your questions will have been answered. Most people did use the clothing provided but we already had our own mountaineering clothing, so were warm enough (and happier in our own gear).

Reindeer sledding wasn't an option.

By the time we travelled by bus from the port to the husky place and got sixty people on their sled ride, then back to the port, the ship was ready to sail.

The minus 12c that we experienced, was apparently quite warm for Kirkenes at that time of year. We were told it can be a lot colder.

The visit to the snow hotel was a bonus.

Having trouble finding your Norway winter blog???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't do this excursion but I talked with people who have done it during my recent trip (10 days ago) in Tromso and they were very happy. They didn't have to do the driving. The ride itself was about 30 minutes, they could also have some time with the dogs before and some hot beverage after. You are provided with warm clothing if you want, but if you are covered enough it is not necessary (I understood there is also a blanket on the sled). They also said the landscape during the ride was very nice. They are not particularly fit people so I guess it is not that physically challenging. Hurtigruten is quite conservative with fitness level ratings. As long as you have to walk a bit in the snow, it is already rated 2...

I didn't do this excursion but I talked with people who have done it during my recent trip (10 days ago) in Tromso and they were very happy. They didn't have to do the driving. The ride itself was about 30 minutes, they could also have some time with the dogs before and some hot beverage after. You are provided with warm clothing if you want, but if you are covered enough it is not necessary (I understood there is also a blanket on the sled). They also said the landscape during the ride was very nice. They are not particularly fit people so I guess it is not that physically challenging. Hurtigruten is quite conservative with fitness level ratings. As long as you have to walk a bit in the snow, it is already rated 2...

Thanks!.. i just took a look at your blog. Very nice pics of the lights! Wonderfin if your ship was very full?

Thanks!.. i just took a look at your blog. Very nice pics of the lights! Wonderfin if your ship was very full?

Thank you, we were awfully lucky with the Northern Lights (beautiful ones 3 nights in a row).

The ship was a little bit over half full leaving Bergen (around 260 passengers), a litte bit less leaving Kirkenes, and we arrived in Bergen with about 160 passengers. It was the MS Nordlys, which is smaller than the Midnatsol.

Hi Bobbi,

I did this excursion on Christmas Eve about 9 years ago. I can confirm pretty much all that's been said:

you don't drive

I'm sure you could do it as an individual (to be absolutely certain email Hurtigruten (in Norway - their English is generally better than us Brits! :-) )

bus journey is scenic itself - you go across island where Tromso is located, past the airport & then onto a large offshore island where the excursion happens.

when we went it was getting dark during ride (mid-winter so probably not for you) and the lights of Tromso were visible across the straits.

website of folks doing excursion is http://villmarkssenter.no/ They are husky enthusiasts and do long distance Husky races in Norway & Canada I think

There is another excursion that runs from Finnsnes to Tromso which had reindeers as an option - perhaps this is what you heard about. Have done this more recently - it's a long drive before & after "rides". Scenic if not dark all the time but with significantly more time in a coach than on activities.

Having done most of the winter Hurtigruten excursions I rate the Tromso Husky Sleigh Ride as one of the best, alongside the Snow Mobile trip between Kjollifjord & Mehamn - if that is running again as the ships had been not calling at one of the ports (Mehamn I think) as the pier was being rebuilt.

Hope this gives info that'll help you choose.

Fair Winds & Weather,

Richard

We did the Tromso dog sledding at the Villmarkssenter in early February 2008. We were provided with waterproofs at the centre and all we had to do on the sled was to sit (almost lay for the front seat passnger!) down and enjoy the view and the experience. It was excellent, even though the snow was becoming fairly minimal in places. Before we took the ride we were able to view the dogs in the kennels and afterwards we had a 'hearty' stew.

Thoroughly recommended.

thanks richard and digitl..for the info.. now youve got me wondering if I should book february rather than March. March is supposed to be really good for northern lights.. but maybe there will not be enough snow for the Huskie sledding... My cruise is mar 2.. to get a new moon. I would probably have to go early february for the full moon as well...Plus if youve read my other posts, Im wondering why there are so many cabins unavailable for my date. It still seems so odd to have so many cabins booked over a year out....Any thoughts on February as opposed to March?

I can't answer the availability question. It does sound odd though.

Our 2008 trip was five nights, Bergen to Tromso, during the second week in February and we saw the Lights on three out of the five nights. Past performance, however, is no guarantee!

No Moon, or minimal Moon, should improve any view you get, but have a look at sunrise/sunset tables for various locations, especially those close to or above the Arctic Circle, to see how much daylight you will have on any chosen date. We did that, and were happy enough with our dates, but would not have wanted any less: there's a beautiful landscape out there as well as the Lights.

Edited by digitl

If I want to be in Tromso without a moon, I would have to do a feb 1 sailing on the finnmarken... As opposed to march 2 on the Midnatsol. Any thoughts on this? I am btw doing a fjords and northern isles on HAL that following June..., to see some of Norway in the summer..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have sailed on both Finmarken and Midnatsol and enjoyed both.

1 February v 2 March? Possibly more snow on the former, which may make getting around in ports slightly more problematic but any dog sledding that much more enjoyable.

As I suggested previously, I think the biggest difference would be the number of hours of daylight and the effect this would have on your ability to watch the landscape pass by.

We have sailed on both Finmarken and Midnatsol and enjoyed both.

1 February v 2 March? Possibly more snow on the former, which may make getting around in ports slightly more problematic but any dog sledding that much more enjoyable.

As I suggested previously, I think the biggest difference would be the number of hours of daylight and the effect this would have on your ability to watch the landscape pass by.

Thank you so much digitl.. I'm sticking with my original march 2, based on your comments about daylight and scenery...unless I find out there is some huge group on the ship.

• 11 months later...

i have to have my glasses on at all times if i want to see anything at all. too late to get new prescription sunglasses.. should have thought about this earlier. Maybe Ill just pick up a pair OTG goggles and if i don't need them, I can return them. Ive noticed my glasses do fog up with the balaclava on, so it might be a good idea. Thanks for the tip about the yellow snow.... would have never thought about that...lol

thinking i may look like I'm an alien when dressed in full gear..!!! but at least ill be warm.