Little French Key

mykindaparty

LFK still has a zoo - monkeys, lion(s?), etc. They have horseback riding, they have a zipline, a helicopter ride, massage, mani/pedi service, and the snorkling and other water sports.

http://www.littlefrenchkey.com/little-french-key-packages/

Here's Mitsugirly's review (one of them) where she went to LFK. Granted, it was with the jaguar.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2130767&page=15

You can call them to reserve, but you dont choose your package or pay until you get the Frenchies, I believe. We're going in 2 weeks.

We were disappointed to arrive there last week to find out the jaguar was no longer there. That disappointment did not last long. We were there on Monday, which they are usually closed. It was not crowded that day at all, which really made it a private island. The people were so friendly. The rescued animals in their zoo looked well cared for. They let you get up close to a lion that they rescued from a traveling circus. There were two other young lions, which were quite active in their cage and we had fun hanging with them. They have birds, monkeys and other animals too. They took out the monkeys for us to hold and got great photos (free...with a tip box). $88pp for the day included kayaking/paddleboards, swimming, a great lunch of grilled lobster, shrimp and chicken with rice and yucca chips plus 2 drinks from the bar. Swinging from a rope 30 feet into the water was a blast. Plenty of secluded beach chairs and hammocks available. Even some chairs in the water. Other packages they offer include a reef snorkeling excursion and/or horseback riding in the water. The 20 minute ride from the port to the site was enjoyable to see some of the island. $88pp was well worth it. Highly recommended. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

Edited by Shelladam

We visited LFK last July (2015). You should visit LFK if for only the "Fiji-like," most amazing scenery. When we left that day i said that i definitely wanted to go back and we are for our spring break cruise next week.

The Jaguar: Beautiful animal....from afar. Honestly i'm not surprised that it is gone. The jaguar had liability written all over it. The handlers couldn't fully get it to cooperate and it started to be aggressive with my cousin.

I have no doubt that they treat the animals with care but all it takes is once for that animal to be unpredictable. The scenario reminded me that this is a 3rd world country without the types of rules we have in the U.S. When i go back i will look at the animals but i don't plan to touch them.

For me, i didn't book LFK for the activities, though, i booked b/c i wanted to see if it was like the amazing photos....and it was exactly like the photos. Can't wait to return!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We were there last September which was right after the jaguar and some of the other animals were removed. We still had a fantastic day!

But, they announced this on their Facebook page a few days ago:

"After 8 months to date from August 28, 2015 of wait, hard work and hard ache, with G-d’s grace, hard work from our legal team, support and prayers from our dear friends, family, guests and visitors on this Passover, Little French Key received an 8 page positive court resolution that the raid on Little French Key, search and taking of the animals from Little French Key and Mr. Edgar Bodden were all illegal, in bad faith without cause and absolute abuse of power.

Now we are ready for two possible actions, one retaliation by the corrupt officials behind this ruthless, illegal act or with G-d’s grace them and those assisting them coming to their senses and soul search, using the same amount of effort to bring our animal family home.

Although we and our business has endured the psychological, slander and business damages associated with these illegal actions, it was and always has been about the welfare of our animal family and the best for Roatan.

In the word’s of George Washington, “ I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.”

So, with any luck, Simba and the other animals will be back home by the time you visit! Regardless, it is a great place and you will have an awesome time!