Western Caribbean - What's New?

blondie99

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to cruise again, this time for my 30th birthday and will be giving Carnival a try. Most of the islands are repeats for me... Cozumel, Roatan and Belize... Costa Maya will be new to me. I went to the other islands in April '09.

In Cozumel I had taken a wheelchair taxi from the pier to Dolphin Discovery, which was great and I loved getting to stay in my power chair.

In Roatan, I hired Victor Bodden Tours for a private tour guide. I took my manual chair out and they picked us up in a mini van and took us to their monkey farm and then to the Mayan Princess Resort. Our tour guide was excellent and super helpful. I loved the monkeys. I'm planning to hire them again and hopefully the same tour guide.

In Belize I signed up with a private excursion company - I think Coral Breeze Tours - where we boarded a big speed boat that made a snorkeling stop (my attendant did it), then to Banister Island for a beach break and then out on a manatee watch. I was in my manual chair and they carried me in and out of the boat.

I'm wondering what else is new etc on these islands that might be doable and am also looking for ideas for Costa Maya. I will have a new, more comfortable manual chair that I will be able to tolerate all day and that will have a seat that pops out to use in cars, buses, etc. I don't mind getting carried etc. I love love love to do things that most people with physical disabilities like mine (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) don't think of even trying to do... I'm an adventurous person and love to try and see things. I definitely want to go to one of the ruins with steps and with a landing halfway up and have a couple people carry me up. :)

People are always in awe of the things I do and how I get around and people have suggested I do a documentary, so I'm bringing a couple of small digital video cameras in hopes of getting some footage to make maybe a 10-minute YouTube video to inspire others like me.

I look forward to any suggestions you may have!

Archived