What to expect from South America releases

We have been watching for RCCL to release their Spain/Canary Island itineraries this week, but at the same time are watching for RCCL and NCL to release South America options in early April. I didn't really come up with much when searching in the Royal thread for SA and haven't really gone to CC to check reviews...yet. What has RCCL sailed on the SA itineraries in the past, and what can we expect from this years announcement? Do they do any "around the horn" sailings? How have prices compared to some of the other lines sailing the SA itineraries.... Celebrity, Princess, NCL??

Edited by clojacks

Well, I had a chance to go into CC to see if I could get any answers about the "around the Horn" question. It looks to me like all the Royal cruises in SA stay on the pacific side? And that the longest I could find was a 9 day? Would appreciate any info on RCCL's sailings to SA if anyone has been on them.

We did an SA cruise from Valparaiso to Santos (around the Horn) a few years ago in February. It was an amazing cruise and I would probably do it again. First time around the Horn for the Captain, he was as excited as we were. I have no idea if Royal still does this cruise, it's my belief that it was part of a relo (from San Diego), with a few cruises in and out of Rio prior to moving on to FL.

Well, I had a chance to go into CC to see if I could get any answers about the "around the Horn" question. It looks to me like all the Royal cruises in SA stay on the pacific side? And that the longest I could find was a 9 day? Would appreciate any info on RCCL's sailings to SA if anyone has been on them.

• 3 weeks later...

They released SA for 2016, looks like the price has doubled (from 2011), but so have the ports. And they're going to Buenos Aires, which is really cool.

We have been watching for RCCL to release their Spain/Canary Island itineraries this week, but at the same time are watching for RCCL and NCL to release South America options in early April. I didn't really come up with much when searching in the Royal thread for SA and haven't really gone to CC to check reviews...yet. What has RCCL sailed on the SA itineraries in the past, and what can we expect from this years announcement? Do they do any "around the horn" sailings? How have prices compared to some of the other lines sailing the SA itineraries.... Celebrity, Princess, NCL??

They released SA for 2016, looks like the price has doubled (from 2011), but so have the ports. And they're going to Buenos Aires, which is really cool.

Are you saying they used to do 14 day sailings for half of what they are listed at right now? For the lines that have released 2016 sailings so far (Celebrity, Holland, and Royal), I think Royal is surprisingly priced the highest. I'm waiting for Norwegian to release theirs this week, and hopefully Princess, and then book something. I guess I can always watch price drops for the next 22 months.... :(

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, but at that time, only two additional ports from Valparaiso ... Ushuaia and Montevideo. I don't usually follow pricing closely, but I believe that price was established because it was part of a repositioning ... there were many passengers that did back-to-back-to-back (if I had only had the time back then!). In fact, there was one lady that didn't realize that you needed a Brazilian visa until she started out from San Diego, only to get dropped off in Montevideo (with many others, I might add). We booked 10 months out. Panama seems about 50% more than what we paid in 2008.

Are you saying they used to do 14 day sailings for half of what they are listed at right now? For the lines that have released 2016 sailings so far (Celebrity, Holland, and Royal), I think Royal is surprisingly priced the highest. I'm waiting for Norwegian to release theirs this week, and hopefully Princess, and then book something. I guess I can always watch price drops for the next 22 months.... :(

Sent from my iPad using Forums