Renting a Car in Tahiti

Altamira

We'd love to hear any comments on the idea of picking up an Avis car at the airport upon arrival in Tahiti on a Thurs evening and returning it to their downtown location near the docks before embarkation on the Sat. The IC, where we're staying, has free parking.

We'd love to hear any comments on the idea of picking up an Avis car at the airport upon arrival in Tahiti on a Thurs evening and returning it to their downtown location near the docks before embarkation on the Sat. The IC, where we're staying, has free parking.

Haven't felt the need to rent a car. The shuttle to downtown from the IC is 500 Francs. Supermarkets are a 10 or 20 minute walk. Prices to rent cars in FP are not cheap so for me it would depend on the cost.

Haven't felt the need to rent a car. The shuttle to downtown from the IC is 500 Francs. Supermarkets are a 10 or 20 minute walk. Prices to rent cars in FP are not cheap so for me it would depend on the cost.

Mid-size car with unlimited mileage and with additional fee for drop-off at a different site from car pick-up location brings the car rental cost to US$200. That's for 2 days, from Thurs evening to mid afternoon on Sat.

The convenience is a factor, but also looks like there would be some modest savings if we did our own sight-seeing tour around the island of Tahiti. Available maps are good with all the primary 'attractions" clearly marked. A little bit worried about the language barrier, asking for directions in French would be a challenge . . (many, many, years since French class), but on the other hand DH has a great sense of direction. We have done a lot of touring on our own, and prefer doing that to going with groups bigger than 8 to 10 people.

We're still knocking around the car rental option. Thank you Twin for your input. We are taking your advice on renting a car one of our days in Moorea.

Mid-size car with unlimited mileage and with additional fee for drop-off at a different site from car pick-up location brings the car rental cost to US$200. That's for 2 days, from Thurs evening to mid afternoon on Sat.

The convenience is a factor, but also looks like there would be some modest savings if we did our own sight-seeing tour around the island of Tahiti. Available maps are good with all the primary 'attractions" clearly marked. A little bit worried about the language barrier, asking for directions in French would be a challenge . . (many, many, years since French class), but on the other hand DH has a great sense of direction. We have done a lot of touring on our own, and prefer doing that to going with groups bigger than 8 to 10 people.

We're still knocking around the car rental option. Thank you Twin for your input. We are taking your advice on renting a car one of our days in Moorea.

Excellent! I am not familiar with many of the roads on Tahiti but some of the best sightseeing was off road and a 4WD was necessary. The price you mention is less than I would have thought. Go for it! I should do it next time.