Upachaya Kayak Snorkel Excursion?

poohbeargirl2009

Looking for something new to do on Roatan. Love snorkeling and want to see as much of the reef as possible, but also want to make it adventuresome for the kids and this tour looks like it does both. What I am wondering from anyone who has done it, do you get to see the same snorkel sites or is the snorkeling not as good because of the distance limitations from kayaking out?

Thanks!

Elle

• 2 weeks later...
Looking for something new to do on Roatan. Love snorkeling and want to see as much of the reef as possible, but also want to make it adventuresome for the kids and this tour looks like it does both. What I am wondering from anyone who has done it, do you get to see the same snorkel sites or is the snorkeling not as good because of the distance limitations from kayaking out?

Thanks!

Elle

Hi. We did this kayak / snorkel excursion a couple years ago. The snorkeling was wonderful!!! You end up staying in the water for at least an hour and a half after kayaking out to the reef. Two of us got a little pink on our backs, even though we had used sunscreen. Better to wear a rash guard (swim shirt) if anyone is prone to burning. Kayaking out through the mangroves is really cool. Then it's maybe a 10 or 12 minute paddle out to the reef - not too far.

** Two women in our group of 6 people opted to stay at the Upachaya Resort grounds with Barbara after hearing how long we would be out on the water. They lounged by the pool in the shade with drinks instead.

One of your guides will get in the water and snorkel around with you, while the other one stays in his kayak, circling around making sure if anyone needs to hold on and rest. I remember seeing tons of coral, all different colors. My brother showed us a flounder-type fish resting on a rock. The water is warm and so beautiful. You do have to pull yourself back up onto your kayak after snorkeling, which sounds a bit challenging...but if I could do it...(a 50 year old petite woman with skinny non muscular arms !!) anyone who is an active person shouldn't have a problem.

- I'm trying to find some of my pics to show you. I do have a review with some pics on trip advisor. And probably on my cruise critic review of the actual cruise we were on: Carnival Magic Nov. 2015, I think.