Beijing and Singapore info needed

cruzqueen

I am trying to do air, hotels and transfers on my own for our Nov. 24th Asia cruise. I read a suggestion about taking a train from Beijing, but can not find any information of the web. We need to get from Beijing to Xingang. I knwo about grayline and otehtr transfer information, but wanted to also explore this option.

Also, how long does it tak eto get between the 2?

In Singapore, I am trying to figure out if we must stay overnight or not. If our flight leaves at 10:30 PM (day of disembarkation), is there away we can ditch our luggage somewhere and explore Singapore until time to go? Otherwise I will have to reconsider the airline and pay much more so we can leave the next morning (instead of 10:30 PM again) and get back on Sunday.

Thanks...

As to Singapore, yes you can, but it is inconvenient and not guaranteed. You can go directly from the cruise ship terminal (World Tade Center) to Chaingi Airport (perhaps your cruise line will have a transfer there) and can ask your airline to have your luggage stored there. First problem with this - you have to have it go through security check before it can be stored and not all airlines like to do this. Second problem with this - Chaingi Airport is clear on the other side of the island, at least a 45 minute drive and then it is 20 minutes back to the center of town. Chaingi has a good website and should have all the information you would need. Be sure also to check with your airline before trying this though!!

An alternative is to try to check your luggage at one of the hotels with the concierge service and then use a car for the day for sightseeing through the hotel's concienrge desk. Most of the major hotels will have websites with information. My choice for this would be the Raffles, right downtown. Good clean taxis with English speaking drivers are available for S$35.00 hour (That's about US$20).

Please post again with other questions or if you want sightseeing ideas. While Singapore appears very sterile, there is a lot to do and see.

Thanks AJ,

It looks like I might just book something for the night, even if we only have 10-12 hours or so. Might do priceline or similar to get a good rate.

What area do you recommend that I try for convenience to top sights and then getting to the airport ? I'm not even sure what the must-see sights are. I thought of getting a hotel by the pier, so we can just hop off the ship, get to the hotel quick, and re-group for sightseeing (wherever that might be).

Thanks again.

Hi-

Not a bad idea at all to take a day in Singapore. While I have not checked recently, it used to be that all of the US flagged carriers to Singapore left Singapore at 6 or 7 am for the transpacific to LA or San Francisco or Chicago or Detroit (NWA and UA primarily). There are other carriers that leave at other hours, however.

As to an overnight in Singapore, there are all sorts of hotels and all sorts of price ranges. My personal choice is the Marina Mandarin - fairly centrally located - but there are others that may have better locations. In any event, if you look for a hotel, look in the downtown area, somewhere near the Raffles Hotel would be ideal or on Orchard Road near the Raffles. (Raffles is the center of the town for tourist activities.)

Don't try to stay near the cruise ship pier (the World Trade Center) - even if you can find something there, it is well away from most tourist activities. You still have to go through downtown from the World Trade Center going to the airport.

If you end up spending the day in Singapore and leaving in the evening, you can get day rooms at the Airport. I've never used them, however. There used to be tours into town run by the Singapore Tourist Authority from the Airport, you might be able to find these through the airport's website.

I urge you to take a day in Singapore if you can. While kind of sterile and lacking in much of historical charm, there is plenty to see and do. Here are some of my favorites:

1. Breakfast with the orangutans at the Singapore Zoo (9:00 am). Not always available so check the Singapore Zoo website. You literally get to eat with orangutans. An experience like no other. Take lots of film. Sometimes, there is tea (4:00pm) with other animals. Check the website. The zoo, by the way, is one of the best in the world.

2. Night safari. Out by the zoo, after sunset. You get to see nocturnal animals. Again, a pretty unique experience.

3. Orchid garden. If you like orchids, this is the greatest collection in the world. It is set inside the botanical gardens, which is itself worth seeing. There is a very good gift shop at the orchid garden as well, but prices are no real bargains.

4. The Raffles Hotel itself, downtown. Refurbished. One of the great colonial hotels in the world. (If you want to stay there, it is a great (!!) splurge). Check out the shops (including the gourmet shop which has magnificent chocolates), the long bar (where the Singapore Sling was invented), and Ah Teng's Bakery (notwithstanding the name, it has wonerful dim sum). Also has very good and reliable antiques stores (expensive) and very good art galleries. One of the greatest tea shops in the world is located along Seah St., one of the streets next to the Hotel.

5. Little India. Just what the name implies.

6. Chinatown. Lots and lots of fun, all kinds of shops. While I don't remember the name, there is a very good barbecue (yes, barbecue) place in Chinatown.

7. Shopping along Orchard Road. Shopping is THE Singapore activite and Orchard Road has all of the high end shops. Great people watching too. Check out a couple of the shopping malls (my favorite is Bugis Plaza). Try to go when they are full of people. It is quite a site.

8. Street food, particularly at the "hawker centers." In fact, food anywhere (usuing your usual cautions) is very good here.

9. The Museums. They are all located fairly close to the Raffles and Orchard Ave. The National Museum is quite good but my favorite is the Museum of Asian Culture (I think that's the name). Exceptional rotating exhibits.

You should be able to get a good car and driver for Singapore$35.00 hour (about US$22-25 today) through the concierge desks at any good hotel. I have used Raffles for this. Given how far flung some things are and the limited amount of time, public transit will just take too long. Avoid a driver who wants to take you on his own tour. You should set up a car/driver well in advance; don't wait til you get there.

I can only hope that you will have as much fun in Singapore as I have had. It is one of those places I love to return to.

AJ

Archived