HELP leaving tomorrow ? about dog sledding excurssion

psdab

WE leave tomorrow and my parents have the dog sledding booked for Juneau through the ship. I thought I read somewhere that you should not wear hiking boots because they will not fit well in the boots they provide. Is this true?

I would wear tennis shoes. We booked our excursion with Coastal Helicopters and the overboots they provided were pretty bulky. I wore tennis shoes and everyone else had on hikers. I think it was easier for me to get around due to the weight of the shoes. One word of advise. When they say layer your clothing they mean it. Coastal makes you wear a rain slicker and pants. We were out of the rain slicker almost immediately upon getting up there. If the sun is shineing it is pretty hot on the glacier. I had on lined jeans, a long sleeve tshirt and a fleece overshirt. I would have been happy in regular jeans and a tshirt and I'm pretty cold natured. The rain pants are hot but necessary due to the fact that the snow is soft in a lot of places and you never know when you might sink up to your butt with the next step. Plus, snow will get thrown back on you when you in the sleds.

Enjoy your excursion. It was a thrill of a lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my own snow boots so I didn't have to wear the "over boots" My friend had on hiking boots and she wore the over boots with no problem. They would just give you a bigger size if they don't fit.

Archived