Considering insuring our next trip differently

buggins0402

For cruises (and land trips) we usually just buy a GeoBlue international medical policy, since I am more concerned about insuring against the high dollar potential risk. DH is on Medicare with a F supplement, which only provides $50K with a 20% copay (the copay isn't an issue, but the $50K is). I usually get a joint policy even though I have employer coverage overseas...just to get the evac coverage for me (and it doesn't hurt to have, since mine is a HDHP). We don't care about cancellation coverage and just use a credit card for the cruise payament that has a cancellation benefits...for whatever it might provide.

However, next trip is a land trip to some countries with poor healthcare (and cheap healthcare). So I was of getting a Medjet assist yearly plan and coupling that with a much lower value med plan for DH ($50K) which along with $50K he already has should provide enough coverage given the cheap medical care cost in the countries we are visiting. We would have the Medjet plan for more serious issues. For me, I might just rely on my employer coverage, since the Medjet policy would cover the missing evacuation coverage. I live with the high deductible on my regular health plan every single day while here in the US (and I have a healthy HSA account) so it seems counterintuitive to insure medical to a higher degree while away.

Am I overlooking a risk in this "cobbling together" of plan benefits that I should insure against????

Edited by buggins0402