Carara National Park

nationaltreasure79

Hello,

This is our first time to visit Costa Rica and we are all excited. There are lots of choices with just one day and I would like some advice. I have been searching for quite some time on where we should visit. We are a group of 3 adults (myself, DH, and mother) and love to see wildlife and beautiful scenery. We would also like to see the scarlet macaws. We aren't into zip lining. Our cruise ship will be porting at Puntarenas in late December from 7am-7pm. I think from readiing reviews online we would like to visit Carara National Park. I have also been looking at visiting Monteverde Cloud Forest reserve or Manuel Antonio National Park. There is also a river boat tour on the Tarcoles River. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steph

If you want to see some animals and a chance for scarlet macaw in the wild I'd go for the boat tour on the Tarcoles River. I think most are half day and I'd pick the early tour so you'd have a better chance of being one of the earlier boats on the river and have the afternoon to walk around town.

Carara would also be a good option especially if you want to put something together on your own. Walking the trails as a small group with a guide, and away from the more popular areas will give you a better chance of seeing more animals. It's close enough to port that you can still have some time in town or grab lunch somewhere fun.

I would consider Quepos/Manuel Antonio a bit far unless you have a real desire to specifically go there. It can be done but you'd spend a fair bit of time in the car. It's a great place if you ever want a long weekend. You can get into Jan Jose from the US then fly Sansa over to Quepos in time to have a late lunch on the beach.

Santa Elena and the Monte Verde area is incredible! I wouldn't think of visiting for just a few hours especially considering how far away it is from the port and all the other good options you have that are closer. I've never driven there from there to Puntarenas but if the roads are anything like they are on the other side it can be slow going. It's another good area if you want to visit as part of a land trip. A bit difficult to get to for a long weekend but would be a good part of a week long trip. But the big busses do make their way up there and if you want to see butterflies flowing down the side of a mountain like a river (among other incredible sights, sounds and smells) that's the place.