booking parties of 4 (teens + parents)

PixiTrix

I am looking to book a cruise to Alaska in 2018 possibly. I went to Alaska this past summer just with my husband on Celebrity.

For this trip, I will have my daughter and son with me, and they will be almost 17 and 15 at the time. I am wondering what the best way is to book cabins.

Since the cruises are based on a per person cost, is there an effect on price if I book a quad cabin or two adjoining cabins?

I know there are some cruise lines that offer a reduced fare for the 2nd and 3rd passengers. If I find the right itinerary and price, I may go with that no matter what...but I assume that is for a quad cabin and not two cabins.

Just as an aside, Celebrity was maybe a little too "old" feeling for us, but very elegant. So we would like to try something else. My daughter has high-functioning autism, so is not likely to join any teen group or socialize - but would play video games and stuff with us or her brother. She would also probably like pool facilities. Celebrity's pools were fairly boring in that regard...but don't know if that is typical for Alaska cruises.

Thanks!

3/4 are typically much less expensive the 1/2 passengers, so you will pay more booking two doubles vs one quad. Celebrity doesn't sell itself as a family line, but it is our kids' favorite between it, RCCL, Cunard, and NCL. Pools are not a highlight on most Alaskan cruises.

If you want to be two and save a bit, consider a balcony/outside with an inside across the hall. Book girls in one and guys in the other, and let front desk onboard get people in the right rooms. You typically need someone 21+ in each cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. What is it that they prefer about Celebrity, if I may ask?

Yes, I wasn't sure about the pool thing in Alaska in general.

Good idea about the inside outside/balcony! I typically like to do things online...but sounds like something I might need to call and book.

For kids look at Rcl - newest ships. Booking 4 to s single cabin Will be cheaper but ALL of you will have to share that 'postage Stamp' bathroom. Booking two cabins WILL cost More but give more privacy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the reply. What is it that they prefer about Celebrity, if I may ask?

They like the personal attention from the kids staff. They have to have two counselors per age group to give coverage, so with 12 kids (that's what I normally see when I go in) and two adults, they've always been happy. They also like having a good mix of structured vs unstructured activities. As they get older, the club becomes more of a meet up point, where they decide whether to swim, get ice cream, or sit on stairs somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They like the personal attention from the kids staff. They have to have two counselors per age group to give coverage, so with 12 kids (that's what I normally see when I go in) and two adults, they've always been happy. They also like having a good mix of structured vs unstructured activities. As they get older, the club becomes more of a meet up point, where they decide whether to swim, get ice cream, or sit on stairs somewhere.

Okay. Not sure if that matters really for my kids. My daughter is Asperger's with anxiety and doesn't do the meet up thing. If there were someone she already knew, it might be different. Now, this is for over a year away, so I can always hope, but I am anticipating that she will be with us or with her brother for pretty much the entire time. Now, her brother is just 13 now and will be close to 15 then, and doesn't have autism, so am interested to see how he will be.

• 3 weeks later...

Did RCL Liberty in August with 2 14 yr old grandsons. Had connecting rooms, a little more expensive, but worth it. Can't tell you how much fun they had, met a bunch of other kids and they had a ball. They did stay out late and we used texting. But worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Okay. Not sure if that matters really for my kids. My daughter is Asperger's with anxiety and doesn't do the meet up thing. If there were someone she already knew, it might be different. Now, this is for over a year away, so I can always hope, but I am anticipating that she will be with us or with her brother for pretty much the entire time. Now, her brother is just 13 now and will be close to 15 then, and doesn't have autism, so am interested to see how he will be.

my 14 year old son also has aspergers and social anxiety/sensory issues.

not done alaska but we have been on P&O twice to mediteranean and norwegian fjords. we got a suite first time then balcony last time as we spend alot of time in room also playing video games or watching box sets.

we go out mainly to buffet or he likes to go on treadmill in gym or a quick look in gift shop.

we were just happy watching world go by whilst his sisters went off exploring the norwegian fjords. we did go on 1 trip up a glacier but picked that carefully and briefed in for months in advance on the whole set up etc of everything.

we are going to scandinavia this year.

enjoy and hope all goes well, i really fancy alaska myself so that is next on our list.