Curacao - Negative Experience in Retail Shop with my TravelScoot

innlady1

We disembarked the Holland America Maasdam on Friday after 14 glorious days in teh Caribbean with a wonderful itinerary. I used my TravelScoot in port as I had total hip replacement surgery the week prior to Christmas. Our cruise was port intensive - 9 ports in 14 days - so the TravelScoot was a lifesaver...as it was on our cruise last winter when I was in pain before having surgery.

We went to the beach in Curacao, then came back to the ship to drop off our stuff (when my beloved straw visor blew away!). So I set out to the Fort to see if I could replace it. Went to a shop that I'd dropped over $100 in last year on t-shirts for the grandkids and DH called Memory Lane, and found a visor, not bothering to try it on. Went outside to meet up with DH and he said it was cute but definitely a kids...so back to the store I went...to see if they would exchange it...I wasn't looking for a cash refund.

Unfortunately, since space was tight, one of the wheels on my Scoot bumped into a rack holding t-shirts, jarring it a bit, but NOT doing any damage...yet, the owner came running over and demanded that I either "get off that thing" (my Scoot) or get out of his store immediately!!!

I remember that the owners and staff were quite rude last year so wasn't surprised at his reaction. Although it was totally uncalled for, and I told him I would report what had happened on Cruise Critic...he didn't seem to care.

We met up with friends to enjoy dinner in town before leaving the port at 10:30 PM, and on the way back to the ship, I snapped a picture so that I'd remember the name of the shop to report it on here. He must have seen the flash, came flying out in a frenzy and chased me down the walkway. Luckily my Scoot could go faster than he could...and our friend told him he'd better just drop it. Guess he didn't like me taking a picture.

It's unfortunate that the rest of the world is so ignorant when it comes to those of us with medical issues of one kind or another.

Shiela...I would go one step further and send a letter to HAL (in the event this is a "recommended" shop in port) so they know what happened and stop recommending this shop. It really burns the hairs on my back when the shops we SPEND OUR MONEY IN treats us like this. In many of these ports, if it wasn't for us...there would be no THEM!!!

Shiela...I would go one step further and send a letter to HAL (in the event this is a "recommended" shop in port) so they know what happened and stop recommending this shop. It really burns the hairs on my back when the shops we SPEND OUR MONEY IN treats us like this. In many of these ports, if it wasn't for us...there would be no THEM!!!

Good idea...thanks for the suggestion, Tim. I don't believe it is a HAL-recommended shop but, none the less, the port ambassadors should be aware of this.

Denise...since you have a Scoot, I wouldn't attempt it either...not worth it...better to spend the money in a shop that appreciates it!

Archived