Any experience with special diet requests for reception?

Applescruff

We are planning to get married on the Norwegian Sun in August. I am looking over the reception options, and I see that the hors d'oeuvres for the cocktail reception are standardized with "no substitutions except for allergy or special diet." My father has celiac disease, and after eating gluten-free with him for so many years my mother finds she can no longer tolerate the stuff either. I am hoping that this will be sufficient reason to make a few substitutions in the menu. Does anyone here have experience with that sort of request? Did it go smoothly?

Also, does anyone know if there is gluten free cake available on NCL ships? I think requesting the entire wedding cake be made gluten free might be too much to ask, but if I could at least get a small gluten free cake for my parents they would be able to enjoy cake and champagne with the rest of us. I have made mom and dad wait an awfully long time for this wedding and I really want them to enjoy themselves. [emoji4]

Thank you for any insight or advice!

Edited by Applescruff

The cruise lines have pretty good executive chefs and pastry chefs. I'm sure if you called them and explained your situation they would have no problem accommodating your needs. At a minimum if they cant make the cake for you they should allow you to bring your own gluten free cake on board. Lucky more and more gluten free products are easily available now for individuals with gluten intolerance.

Thanks! I am sure you are right. I have read so many amazing reviews by people with dietary restrictions, I know I shouldn't stress too much about this. I will let you all know what we come up with, in case anyone else has worries in the future. :)

Mom says she'll just track down some sort of gluten free Twinkie analog if it comes to it - she and Dad are not nearly as worried as I am!

Will your parents be cruising with you? I've found that the special needs department can be really helpful for passengers with dietary restrictions. But I've no idea if they would get involved for non-sailing guests at an embarkation day wedding.

• 1 month later...