Midsummer day - Helsinki

todd2507

Will be on cruise stop on midsummers day 2014 (Saturday, June 21).

Any info as to what will be open would be appreciated (cathedral, uspenski, rock church, national gallery, ateneum gallery, maritime fortress).

Will any stores be open?

Will public transport be a problem?

per websites of various sites in Helsinki, I have found the following information:

OPEN:

Helsinki Cathedral 10AM to 5PM;

Rock Church (Eemppeliaukio Church) 10AM - 5:45PM;

Kaisaniemi Botanic Garden (outside gardens open, greenhouse appears open per 2013 posted schedule -- 2014 schedule not yet posted);

Suomenlinna Maritime Fortress - The site itself is accessible, though individual museums at site are indicating closures (customs museum is specifically indicting closure). Also, most restaurants/cafes are indicating closures on that date at this site. -- might be exterior visit to this fortress only that is available. This fortress is about 15 minute ferry ride from city;

Sibeius Monument (outside site, so always open)

CLOSED:

Ateneum National Gallery;

National Museum of Finland

UNCERTAIN (awaiting response):

Uspenski Church (likely open, but they were closed in 2013 on June 21 -- which last year was not Midsummer's Day -- so am uncertain as to whether there is some significance to June 21 or not going forward).

Uspenski emailed me that they will be open on midsummers day ONLY for 6 pm service - they are essentially closed for cruise passengers on that date. For prior poster, I don't know if the same holds true for midsummers eve

I have posted several of these before, but since a few of the places have been mentioned, here are a few pics that I took when we were there also.

The Lutheran Cathedral in Senate Square is a picture waiting to happen

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1062.jpg

From the outside, the Church in the Rock is nothing, but once inside, WOW

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1098.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1107.jpg

The Uspensky Orthodox Cathedral

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1135.jpg

Market Square, where you need to get to t start your journey. Just a great place to eat, wander about, shop and talk with the locals

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1150.jpg

Be sure to grab some delicious food here, pretty good and pretty cheap

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1147.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

Cheers

Len

Further update - the botanic garden greenhouses are closed midsummers eve, midsummers day and the Sunday after midsummers day.

Looks like one more thing off the list - but the outside gardens might be enough.

What is the status of Market Square shops for you? I had found an old link that had them open until 3 pm on the Eve last year.

Edited by buggins0402

my understanding is that the market square shops will be open AM hours on Midsummers Eve but closed unfortunately on Midsummers day.

As regards public transport on this weekend, I found a press release for 2013 regarding this weekend on HSL.FI site (where you can go to get info on public transport in Finland). No info yet posted for 2014, but would assume it to be same. From last years press release:

On Midsummers' Eve (which is a Friday): transport operates on a regular Saturday schedule.

On Midsummer's Day (which is a Saturday):

a Sunday service will operate. Only some U line buses will operate.

Metro and tram service will start at about 11am while bus services will start to operate at 10.45am. Commuter trains and the ferry to Suomenlinna will operate right from the morning.

further updates on openings/closing:

I emailed Suomenlinna Fortress to see if any of the museums would be open. They responded:

I do not have exact information on what museums will be open on Midsummer's Day. Previous summers, however, Suomenlinna Museum, Ehrensvärd Museum, Military Museum and Vesikko Submarine have been open normally on Midsummer's Day. So although we do not yet have exact information, I would believe that these museums will be open this year on that date too. They are usually open from 10 or 11 am until 6 pm. I recommend you to check for the summer opening hours on our website later on in the spring:

Thought I would recap what I have found out on Midsummer's Day in Helsinki:

OPEN:

Helsinki Cathedral 10AM to 5PM as per website;

Rock Church (Eemppeliaukio Church) 10AM - 5:45PM as per website;

Sibelius Monument (outdoor and accessible) -

Suomenlinna Maritime Fortress - no schedule yet on which museums will be open in 2014, but per email with them, they indicated that on previous summers the Suomenlinna Museum, Ehrensvärd Museum, Military Museum and Vesikko Submarine had been open. Those museums are usually open from 10 or 11 am until 6 pm per the email correspondence.

PARTIALLY OPEN:

Kaisaniemi Botanic Garden - the outside gardens are reportedly accessible, though the greenhouses are closed.

CLOSED:

Ateneum National Gallery, as per website;

National Museum of Finland , as per website

Uspenski Church (open only for a 6PM service - after we leave as per email correspondence)

Note: I do not know if Uspenski will be open on Midsummer's eve - the above noted closure pertains only to Midsummers' Day 2014. However, websites for Botanic Garden greenhouses, Ateneum Gallery, and National Museum all are indicating they are closed on Midsummer's Eve 2014.

Thought I would recap what I have found out on Midsummer's Day in Helsinki:

OPEN:

Helsinki Cathedral 10AM to 5PM as per website;

Rock Church (Eemppeliaukio Church) 10AM - 5:45PM as per website;

Sibelius Monument (outdoor and accessible) -

Suomenlinna Maritime Fortress - no schedule yet on which museums will be open in 2014, but per email with them, they indicated that on previous summers the Suomenlinna Museum, Ehrensvärd Museum, Military Museum and Vesikko Submarine had been open. Those museums are usually open from 10 or 11 am until 6 pm per the email correspondence.

PARTIALLY OPEN:

Kaisaniemi Botanic Garden - the outside gardens are reportedly accessible, though the greenhouses are closed.

CLOSED:

Ateneum National Gallery, as per website;

National Museum of Finland , as per website

Uspenski Church (open only for a 6PM service - after we leave as per email correspondence)

Note: I do not know if Uspenski will be open on Midsummer's eve - the above noted closure pertains only to Midsummers' Day 2014. However, websites for Botanic Garden greenhouses, Ateneum Gallery, and National Museum all are indicating they are closed on Midsummer's Eve 2014.

I received a rather extensive list yesterday from the Helsinki Tourism office of what was open with hours of operation and what was closed on both Midsummer's Eve and Midsummer's a Day in 2013. The tourism office said it would give a good idea of what to expect this year. The list is several pages long and I would be happy to email it to you.

• 2 months later...
I received a rather extensive list yesterday from the Helsinki Tourism office of what was open with hours of operation and what was closed on both Midsummer's Eve and Midsummer's a Day in 2013. The tourism office said it would give a good idea of what to expect this year. The list is several pages long and I would be happy to email it to you.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could email me that list as we will be in Helsinki on June 20, midsummers eve. My email is rawlr4@hotmail.com Thanks so much!

I would greatly appreciate it if you could email me that list as we will be in Helsinki on June 20, midsummers eve. My email is rawlr4@hotmail.com Thanks so much!

Personally I would suggest that R & R Carroll rather should post the list in this thread so that the information can be seen by other forum members as well.

Personally I would suggest that R & R Carroll rather should post the list in this thread so that the information can be seen by other forum members as well.

The list for 2013 would definitely give a good idea. I was able to find the old list for 2012 here: http://www.visithelsinki.fi/sites/visithelsinki.fi/files/files/Uutisnostoliitteet/juhannusmuistio_en.pdf

The list for 2014 does not seem to be up yet.

I don't know how to post attachments from emails :confused: and have asked rawlr4 to do so.

You can't post the attachment itself but you can copy the contents of it to the forum reply text box.

Or you could upload it to dropbox or media fire (no spaces) and link to it from here.

Edited by Desdichado62

MIDSUMMER 2013

THU

FRI

SAT

SUN

ART MUSEUMS:

Amos Anderson Art Museum, tel.09-684 4460

10-17

-

-

-

Ateneum, Finnish National Gallery, tel. 09-6122 5510

10-17

-

-

11-17

Cygnaeus Gallery, tel. 040 128 6360

11-17

-

-

-

Didrichsen Art Museum, tel. 010 2193 970

repair

works until

09/2014

Emma, Espoo Museum of Modern Art

+ Wee Gee Building, tel. 09-8165 7512

11-18

-

-

-

Gallen–Kallela Museum, tel.09-849 2340

11-18

-

11-18

11-18

Halosenniemi (in Tuusula), tel. 09-8718 3461

11-16

-

-

-

Helsinki City Art Museum,

* Tennispalatsi, tel.09-3108 7001

* Kluuvi gallery, tel.09- 310 87039

11-19

closed

-

17.6.-31.7.

-

-

Kunsthalle Helsinki, tel. 09-454 2060

11-18

-

-

11-17

Museum of Contemporary Art Kiasma, tel.09-1733 6501

10-17

-

-

10-17

Sinebrychoff Art Museum, tel. 09-1733 6460

10-17

-

-

11-17

HISTORICAL MUSEUMS:

Helsinki City Museums:

* Sofiankatu 4, tel.09-3103 6630

9-14

-

-

-

* Hakasalmi Villa, tel. 09-310 78519

11-14

-

-

-

* Sederholm House/ Children’s Town, tel.09-310 36529

9-14

* Tuomarinkylä Manor Museum, tel.09-310 71568

11-14

-

-

-

* Tram Museum, tel.09-3103 6630

11-14

-

-

-

* Burgher’s House, tel.09-310 71549

closed

all

summer

* Worker Housing Museum, tel.09-310 71548

11-14

-

-

-

National Museum of Finland, tel.040-128 6469

11-18

-

-

-

Military Museum of Finland, tel. 0299 530 259

11-17

-

-

-

Mannerheim Museum, tel. 09-635 443

-

-

-

-

Urho Kekkonen Museum Tamminiemi, tel.09-4050 9650

11-17

-

11-17

11-17

Seurasaari Open Air Museum, tel. 09-4050 9660

Traditional Midsummer bonfires and event on Friday 21.6. at 18–01, tickets 18€ available at the entrance (children under 15 years free of charge together with paying adult). Open Air Museum is not open on Friday. On Sat 22. and Sun 23. the open air museum is open as normal. Midsummer Day dancing at Antti Event Grounds at on Sat 22.6. at 14.30.

11-17

-

11-17

11-17

CABLE FACTORY:

Theatre Museum, tel. 0207 961 670

11-18

-

-

-

Hotel and Restaurant Museum, tel.044-747 4110

11-18

-

-

-

Finnish Museum of Photography, tel.09-6866 3621

11-18

-

-

-

SPECIAL MUSEUMS:

Ainola (in Järvenpää), tel. 09-287 322

10-17

-

10-17

10-17

Arabia museum & gallery, tel. 0204 39 5357

* factory shop, tel.0204 393507

12-18

10-20

-

-

-

-

10-16

10-16

Studio Aalto, tel.09-481 350 (guided tour at 11.30 & 12.30)

*The Aalto House (guided tour/entrance every full hour, last at 17)

11.30 &12.30

13-18

-

-

-

-

-

13-18

tried to post the openings and closings from last year but as it is in a grid it does not work - Here is a recap (please ignore prior post)

Museums that were listed last year as open:

Gallen-Kallela Museum

Historical Museums listed last year as open:

Urho Kekkonen Museum Tamminiemi

Surasaari Open Air Museum (though not on Friday except for Bonfires starting at 6PM)

Sights listed last year as open:

Flamingo Water Park and Spa

Heureka Science Centre

Korkeasaari Zoo

Linnanmaki Amusement Park

Sealife Aquarium

Serena Water Park

NOTE: Parliament Building, Finnish National Opera, and Helsinki City Museums listed as closed last year

Churches listed last year as open:

Temppeliaukio Church (Rock Church)

Helsinki Cathedral

Note: Uspenski listed as closed last year - and that has been confirmed again this year with exception for 6PM service

Suomenlinna Fortress Island listed last year as open:

Suomenlinna Visitor's centre

Suomenlinna Museum

Guided walking tours last year listed as operating on holiday

Ehrensvard Museum

Military Museum's Manege

Submarine Vesikko

Suomenlinna Church

Museum shop

Cafe Piper

Cafe Bar Valimo

Restaurant Walhalla Gourmet