ti tou gorge - Swim

cruise13girl

How hard is the swim at ti tou gorge? I will have my 63 year old mother with me, she can swim but is not a strong swimmer.

Also what are some good tours to see ti tou gorge, the sulfur (natural hot springs) and Trafalgar Fall? Shore Trips, go thru Royal Caribbean?

Thank You

Just did this at the end of Jan. and the water in the gorge, while deep in some places, is very calm at least until you get closer to the waterfall at the end. The distance one way is about 75 feet and there are places along the way next to the walls where you can stand and rest. Our guide also provided everyone with buoyancy belts. Close to the waterfall our guide had everyone wait while he swam ahead, then one by one he would throw us a lifering tied to a rope and pull us to the base of the waterfall.

I am not a strong swimmer myself and had no problems doing this. On the return trip the current pushes you back out so just doggie paddling is fine, also prevents you from accidently kicking one of your group.

We went with Levi Baron (Bumpiing Tours) who charged $50/person for snorkeling at Champagne Reef, Titou Gorge, and Trafalgar Falls.

Hi cruisegirl,

Per board rules I'm not allowed to recommend a tour I've not been on. I can only suggest you reach some of the other threads on this board or on Tripadvisor to find a good fit for your family.

Enjoy Dominica, it is a beautiful island and I enjoyed my visit there.

• 3 weeks later...

Cruisegirl,

I am just back from Titou Gorge. I am 59 and also not a strong swimmer. There is a bit of a current but it is not too strong. Also, the guides have floats they can tow someone through if they are not able to handle the currents. I saw them do this with one older gentleman. I didn't go past the small waterfall as you have to climb up it and I am kind of a chicken, but there is a small ledge to hang out while the others do this.

Bumpiing Tours is the best and goes to all the places you want to go.

http://bumpiingtours.com/cruise-ship-visitors.html

I agree with erniesband. I have toured with Bumpiing Tours (pretty sure we are allowed to say this because it was in response to a request for information.) They are great. When we did Titou Gorge (and Champagne Reef and a falls and sulpher springs visit they were amazing!

They have floatation devices for you and the guides will help anyone who needs help.

I cannot recommend them highly enough! Google them and email Levi. He will take care of you.