Bio Bay Tour without kayaks?

brandy4598

All of the Bio Bay tours I've seen have been with kayaks. My DH and I have tried kayaking before on other excursions and have decided for the sake of our marriage that we will not do it again (at least not in the same kayak). Is there a tour operator who uses another means of transportation to get to the bay? Or, is there one that offers individual kayaks? Thanks!

All of the Bio Bay tours I've seen have been with kayaks. My DH and I have tried kayaking before on other excursions and have decided for the sake of our marriage that we will not do it again (at least not in the same kayak). Is there a tour operator who uses another means of transportation to get to the bay? Or, is there one that offers individual kayaks? Thanks!

We did the Bio Bay in Vieques with East Island Excursions. This tour company took us into the bay by an electric powered pontoon boat--there were no kayaks. When we did this excursion back in 2009 we could actually go into the water and swim among the glowing dinoflagellates--however this is no longer allowed.

We had a rental car and it was a 1 1/2 hour drive for us to get from our hotel in Isla Verda to the Puerto del Ray Marina in Fajardo.

It was a 45 minute ride on a fast power catamaran from the Puerto Del Rey Marina to get to the island of Vieques. Once in Vieques we were shuttled over to Island Adventures where we had dinner and then rode on a rickety old bus to Mosquito Bay where we boarded the electric pontoon boat.

Watch our video of our Bio Bay experience below:

[YOUTUBE]1M59TwyRxWs[/YOUTUBE]

We did the Bio Bay in Vieques with East Island Excursions. This tour company took us into the bay by an electric powered pontoon boat--there were no kayaks.

Thanks, dz. Unfortunately, I don't think that East Island Excursions does that tour any more. :( It is listed on their website; but says that it is "Not Available."

Thanks, dz. Unfortunately, I don't think that East Island Excursions does that tour any more. :( It is listed on their website; but says that it is "Not Available."

I hope the unavailability of the Bio Bay Tour offered by East Island Excursion is only a temporary thing. That was such a great experience and convenient way to get to the island.

I did a quick search and found Island Adventures BioBay Tours offer the Bio Bay tour in Vieques by electric pontoon boat. When we did this excursion with East Island, we were taken to Island Adventures where we had dinner, we're given an orientation and then were taken over to the bay--I assume this is the same Island Adventures that operated that Bio Bay tour we experienced. Whereas East Island Excursions provided the transportation over to Vieques, I don't think Island Adventures does. Also with East Island we were able to visit the Bio Bay in Vieques without having to stay there overnight.

I haven't come across any other operators that offer the Bio Bay by electric powered pontoon boat. If neither of these companies work out, it looks like your back at the kayak option again!

Edited by dz63

Hello! Our family went with Bio Island out of Fajardo and thoroughly enjoyed the electric boats. It was a great tour and honestly although the kayakers looked to be having fun, and we love to kayak, we were thrilled we picked the electric boats. We went on a night where there was no moon and it was quite dark for the kayakers! We had an enjoyable evening. We stayed in Isla Verde area and I would say it was about an hour's drive. The roads were great once out of San Juan. We made a day of it - El Yunque, Balneario Luquillo, and then the BioBay. Highly recommend the electric boats!

EIE has been unable to renew their permits that allow them to dock their boat in Vieques ... that's why they are no longer offering the Vieques biobay tour. They have no idea when (or if) they will get the necessary permits.

For now, the only way to visit Mosquito Bay in Vieques is to spend the night in Vieques.

Back in the Fajardo biobay (laguna grande) there are 2 operators who offer electric boats.

• 1 year later...

I am wondering how you made out with getting from an Old San Juan hotel to the electric boat tour, and how the tour was. We have the kayak tour booked because they do pick up, but I'd rather do the electric boat tour. Thanks for any help you can provide! (We aren't going until June, so we have time to figure this out.)