Falmouth/Jamaica with a 5 year old?

chelle1019

Hello All :)

So I was hoping to get some advice or tips :) It is just myself, hubby and our 5 year old son cruising and I am having the hardest time planning our excursions. With my son being 5 I am finding we are limited to the excursions we can participate in.

Jamaica: I was going to book an excursion for Dunns River Falls/River Rafting through Shore Excursions (we have used them before and they were great).

But I have been reading reviews online that say Dunns River may not be too good for a 5 year old. Mystic Mountain? River tubing?

Thank you

Our first trip to Jamaica is in our future, too! We'll have our boys with us (they'll be almost 4 and 6 when we sail). We were looking at Dolphin Cove in Ocho Rios--just the encounter.

I, too, have read about Dunns River Falls being a bit much for toddlers. I'm there with you at trying to find something they would enjoy at such a young age.

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from Red Stripe Beach. It is a pretty beach if your little one likes an easy beach day. You should take beach toys. My 9 year old really liked it. They offer a roped off safe swimming area that is gorgeous. There is optional shade, jerked chicken lunch, and volleyball. You can opt for a massage also. The DJ was a little loud so we sat at the far end. Very relaxing but not much to do... great for relaxing and swimming. Pretty beach and very safe!

We did Blue Hole with our 4 year old just a few weeks ago. I had considered Red Stripe Beach but I spoke with a mom in our preschool and she and her family (4 year old son) spent a week in Jamaica at Christmas and their favorite activity was Dunn River Falls. I asked her lots of questions about safety and she swore it was completely safe for her 4 year old.

We were turned off with the crowds for Dunn River Falls so we chose Blue Hole. Blue Hole was amazing. Now my 4 year old wasn't doing the high jumps. The highest was about 10 feet. We brought her puddle jumper with us although they had life jackets available. The guide knew to not worry about me or my other kids, just take care of the 4 year old. He'd pick her up if needed to cross the rocks or water. We didn't push her to jump. I really didn't care if she would jump or not but she had no trouble. He would take my older kids to the higher jumps (there was only 2 that we were separated) and then show her the smaller jumps she could do. She loved it and it was a fun family activity for all of us.

We did Blue Hole with our 4 year old just a few weeks ago. I had considered Red Stripe Beach but I spoke with a mom in our preschool and she and her family (4 year old son) spent a week in Jamaica at Christmas and their favorite activity was Dunn River Falls. I asked her lots of questions about safety and she swore it was completely safe for her 4 year old.

We were turned off with the crowds for Dunn River Falls so we chose Blue Hole. Blue Hole was amazing. Now my 4 year old wasn't doing the high jumps. The highest was about 10 feet. We brought her puddle jumper with us although they had life jackets available. The guide knew to not worry about me or my other kids, just take care of the 4 year old. He'd pick her up if needed to cross the rocks or water. We didn't push her to jump. I really didn't care if she would jump or not but she had no trouble. He would take my older kids to the higher jumps (there was only 2 that we were separated) and then show her the smaller jumps she could do. She loved it and it was a fun family activity for all of us.

We are booked on Liberty of the Seas and will be with our 6 and 8 y/o. We were considering Red Stripe or Blue waters.... but blue hole sounds interesting.. was this an excursion through the cruise?

We are booked on Liberty of the Seas and will be with our 6 and 8 y/o. We were considering Red Stripe or Blue waters.... but blue hole sounds interesting.. was this an excursion through the cruise?

No it wasn't through the cruise. I didn't see any offerings to Blue Hole and I tend to avoid ship excursions. I did a bunch of research and I booked with Winston Gayle through Tour Jamaica Today. He drove us there, took us to lunch and then we returned to the ship in plenty of time...we like to have a good cushion to make it back. I wanted a private tour so we could be on our schedule (especially with kids).

• 2 weeks later...
No it wasn't through the cruise. I didn't see any offerings to Blue Hole and I tend to avoid ship excursions. I did a bunch of research and I booked with Winston Gayle through Tour Jamaica Today. He drove us there, took us to lunch and then we returned to the ship in plenty of time...we like to have a good cushion to make it back. I wanted a private tour so we could be on our schedule (especially with kids).

How long was the drive to Blue Hole? Did you port in Falmouth?

How long was the drive to Blue Hole? Did you port in Falmouth?

It rained that morning and our guide/driver, Winston, was a very careful driver with the wet roads. It took us an hour and 20 minutes from Falmouth. He said it could take as long as 90 minutes depending on traffic, etc.

On the way back, it seemed shorter as we stopped for lunch half way.

Edited by melski

Just in case you consider horseback riding - don't.

Our horseback riding/swimming experience was very disappointing. We booked it thru ShoreTrips (they are good) at Braco Stables (bad).

The riding thru plantation area was more like riding thru rural slums. Garbage was everywhere. We also had to cross a highway.

Not suitable for you let alone your young child.