San Augustin Bay - Huatulco, Mexico

nana&poppy2526

DH and I will be on our Panama Canal cruise in February 2015. I've been researching things to do at each of the ports and would love to visit San Augustin Bay while in Huatulco. I'd like to catch a cab and go, but don't even know if that is possible (maybe it is reachable by water only?) and also want to make sure I'd have a ride back to the ship. Is there anyone out there who has gone to San Augustin while in Huatulco? How long is the ride? Will the cab driver wait a couple of hours, or are there cabs readily available (sound like a very primitive place, so I doubt there are phones to call one with). Is it worth the trip and cost of the cab? Is the snorkeling good, and can you see fish close to shore (DH is NOT a snorkeler but likes to be able to see fish in waist deep water)?

If not Augustin Bay, where do you suggest for good (close to shore) snorkeling, some shade, and a place to get food and drinks in Huatulco?

Any input is much appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

We did the 7 bay tour with snorkeling on a jet ski in July. We used Luis at http://www.huatulcowatersports.com/ while we were staying in Huatulco. They also have boats that visit one of the bays for snorkeling. I believe it is possible to reach by car but it would most likely take less time and cost less to set it up for a boat tour with transfer. We were surprised how clear the water was for the Pacific side. There were fish, but not an abundance of tropical or colorful ones.

Edited by ca0100000

OP -- When you exit the dock and walk through the row of shops, you can see some panga type boats on the right. We didn't snorkel, but took a very nice boat ride along the coast both directions and saw several beaches, coves, and the lighthouse up close.

The cost was $15 or $20 per person (don't remember for sure).

I think the boat operators will make almost any kind of deal you ask for.

When your ship approaches the dock, you will see a very nice bay on your left with facilities, food, drinks, etc. We entered that bay on our boat trip, and the operator asked if we wanted to stay for a while. We didn't, but the water was very clear, and we could see fish from the boat. He also trolled a lure behind the boat for the entire trip. That was a little plus for a fisherman !!!

Edited by swedish weave

• 2 weeks later...