Heartbeat of jamaica falmouth

elou

• 3 months later...

Yes, we were just on this excursion on Nov 6 2013.

We were not aware that the excursion had been changed. We booked it online thinking we were getting the Jitney ride.

Here is the description from RCI's website:

A Heartbeat of Jamaica - Discover Falmouth - FYA7

- Overview: Join us for a day of discovery on a tour that takes you to an historic town, a rural school, a working plantation and food tasting at an overseer's house. - Highlights: Tour historic Falmouth, including St Peter's Anglican Church. Visit an 18th century plantation and enjoy a jitney ride through the sugar cane fields and papaya groves. Visit a rural school and interact with the children. Jamaican snack of jerk chicken, fresh fruits, juices, and Jamaica's famous rums included.

Unfortunately, this excursion has now been changed - don't know when but we booked it Oct 22 2013 and the excursion we got was not this one.

We went to 2 churches, at the first one we had some time to look around and then had a 30 min talk by someone who is a teacher at a school. Then went to a second church which was actually more interesting but we only got 10 minutes there. Then to the school - to me this was the best part of the tour - the children were 5 years and under and were extremely glad to see us, you get lots of hugs and they want their photos taken. I think we spent about 20 or 30 minutes there - It was a real eye opener compared to the schools we have in North America. Then to the plantation - except there was no house, only restrooms and a few tables set up. This area was right beside the Martha Brae river and we saw people who were on the river raft excursion going by. We walked for about 1 minute up a muddy road to see some gravestones that have been moved to this location from their original resting places. Then walked back about a minute for our snack which was a dessert sized paper plate with tiny portions of various foods - I have no idea what anything was except the pineapple and a chicken drumstick. We received a glass of fruit punch with a capful of rum in it if you wanted rum. The host at this estate called this a Jamaican Feast. Then another minute walk to see "Mr Bond" climb a coconut tree. There was another few minute walk down by the river to see a large tree that looks like it has a face on it. Then in the bus and back to the ship.

The tour was definitely not what we booked online and we were very disappointed - others on the tour were also. The guide told us that the original plantation house which had the jitney ride had been closed up some time ago.

Anyway, that is the tour we got for the Heartbeat of Jamaica.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Odd question...any idea why this tour would have a 260 pound weight limit? I am a big dude, I can fit in a car or van or whatever, but I am over 260. Royal will not let me book it without certifying I am under that weight.

We went on this tour in March 2014 as an excursion with the Oasis of the Seas. We found it to be very informative. I don't recall the tour description not matching the actual tour, but we certainly did not get a ride in a jitney or see a working plantation. Molly's description is quite accurate. I agree that the tastes of food offered were minimal (bite or two), and we had no idea what the heck we were eating! We wondered if we had missed the description by the tour guide. It was nice to see the Martha Brae River and watch the people on the rafting tour. Although it looks low-key, the people seemed to be having a great time and the captains of the rafts seemed like they were a hoot. We're thinking of trying that tour during our cruise this February. No idea why there would be a weight limit. I think we just rode in a van/bus for this tour.

• 4 weeks later...