Alternatives to Mass Market Cruise for Kids

Cruise Arizona

I posted some of these thoughts on the Celebrity board on a completely different subject, but I thought I ask over here for some more diverse suggestions.

We are going on Celebrity Infinity to Hawaii, and I know my kids will love the kids program, so much so that we may not get to spend a whole lot of time with them on the cruise . For our next cruise I am curious about alternatives to a mass market cruise with a kids program. Looking for something that would be fun for kids but also condusive to the type of family time we spent up in the mountians .

We went up an rented a cabin at ten thousand feet here at Hannigan Meadow, Arizona with no TV and no cell phone service. It only had two rooms, but luckily two baths, a small galley kitchen, a huge fire place and two gas heaters. There was about 3 feet of snow on the ground. We could cross country ski, snow shoe, and inner tube sled during the day. We brought about 10 different board games and card games, and sat by the fire and played games all after noon and evening. It was real family together time. The kids keep asking when we can go up to Hannigan Meadow again. It was a very special trip for them.

So I was thinking that a small ship cruise, would be more condusive to this kind of family time, than the mass market ships. and there would be a lot better service on the ship. We ate pretty well up in the cabins, as my husband planned and cooked some very nice gourmet meals, but there was only one dish washer....me. It took forever to wash and dry all the dishes by hand. (next time we'll bring paper plates and plastic silverware) I was thinking it would be nice to spend some care free time with my kids and l be in a luxury setting instead of roughing it. That cabin was about as roughing it as I'll go.

I am looking foreward to the up-coming Celebrity Hawaii cruise, but it is just a different kind of fun with the kids, with them doing their own thing for much of the cruise. We still plan to bring along some of our favorite board games for the days at sea, but we're not sure they'll want to leave the kids program to join us.

So I guess I'm thinking it would be a nice change or alternative if we could find a small ship cruise that had quad rooms and welcomed kids, but might not have a formal program so it would be more condusive to family time.

I would look into Windjammer. They have junior jammers promos where kids sail free or half price. I'm thinking of this myself, I'm getting a little disillusioned with the mass market lines and even the kids are getting bored with them. Time to try something new, it's either that or you could look into the Moorings yacht charters. You can charter your own boat, go where you want, when you want, very private. My friends did it and raved about it.

I've thought about that Windjammer Costa Rica cruise, but I really love an elegant cruise, so I'm not sure that is the trip for me. I guess want the best of both worlds, the elegance of a cruise, and the family time of the mountain cabin.

Well then I guess you'll just have to do both!;)

My first though too was a Windjammer.

How about a private sailing charter? They supply the boat, supplies, captain and cook. You provide the itinerary and money :)

Or...Clipper Cruise Line, Delta Queen Steamboat (though they do have some weeks with programs for the kids- travel agent could find this info), OR since my first thought was Windjammer, how about Star Clippers Cruises? I have seen them described, "the traditions of the past combine with the amenities of the present." They also advertise as being "casually elegant".

Star Clipper would fit the bill perfectly but, they only have triple cabins, and no quads. That means for a family of 4, 4 full fares, and that ends up being about 8K for starters for a family cruise.

I've been looking at Windjammer, and I 'm just not sure it is the line for me, too much like camping. Am I too picky????

Archived