QM2 for Moving Overseas?

Leucothea

I'm curious to know how many of you have used the QM2 Transatlantic to relocate overseas, and why?

Any dual nationals here who have left the United States to live in the UK or Europe? How complicated is this? Do most of you intened to stay permanently? I think it's quite difficult having belongings and accounts, etc on 2 continents, especially in this economy.

For dual nationals with UK or other European nationality this would be much easier of course. I don't know how Americans do it, unless by marriage. I don't think the rules of the European Union apply to US citizens.

I wonder what percentage of QM2 passengers are traveling to relocate. I know there are quite a few. You could actually bring your car with you on QE2, but that might be complicated also.

We are (probably - I don't know where my job will be yet) but it was mostly swung for us because one-way flights were extortionate and with the new infant seat regulations they wanted almost a full fare for our baby. They only wanted us to pay tax for her on the QM2 so with an infant it was significantly cheaper.

Other major considerations were that we wont have to worry so much about paying excess luggage charges, and also that we could pay for the voyage in installments rather than having to fork out the whole cost of travel at once. My partner also hates flying and we've both always dreamed of doing a transatlantic. We're getting married once we hit the UK and can't really afford a honeymoon, so this is sort of our travel and honeymoon rolled into one for less than the cost of an airfare. So, lots of reasons...

I'm only sad that the kennels are full for our voyage, we have a menagerie that will need relocating with us, but there's no room for them. I bet that's a prime consideration for lots of relocators too though...

I'm curious to know how many of you have used the QM2 Transatlantic to relocate overseas, and why?

Any dual nationals here who have left the United States to live in the UK or Europe? How complicated is this? Do most of you intened to stay permanently? I think it's quite difficult having belongings and accounts, etc on 2 continents, especially in this economy.

For dual nationals with UK or other European nationality this would be much easier of course. I don't know how Americans do it, unless by marriage. I don't think the rules of the European Union apply to US citizens.

I wonder what percentage of QM2 passengers are traveling to relocate. I know there are quite a few. You could actually bring your car with you on QE2, but that might be complicated also.

I live on both continents and we have property in both UK and USA. We have travelled TA on QM2 but not specifically to relocate just for convenience and preference.

It is not so much about being a dual national but having residency.

A bit of a complicated subject to discuss on a cruise forum :D

Julie

I live on both continents and we have property in both UK and USA. We have travelled TA on QM2 but not specifically to relocate just for convenience and preference.

It is not so much about being a dual national but having residency.

A bit of a complicated subject to discuss on a cruise forum :D

Julie

I'm not sure what you mean by "It is not so much about being a dual national but having residency" What are you referring to?

You have homes on both continents...does this have something to do with moving overseas?

We are (probably - I don't know where my job will be yet) but it was mostly swung for us because one-way flights were extortionate and with the new infant seat regulations they wanted almost a full fare for our baby. They only wanted us to pay tax for her on the QM2 so with an infant it was significantly cheaper.

Other major considerations were that we wont have to worry so much about paying excess luggage charges, and also that we could pay for the voyage in installments rather than having to fork out the whole cost of travel at once. My partner also hates flying and we've both always dreamed of doing a transatlantic. We're getting married once we hit the UK and can't really afford a honeymoon, so this is sort of our travel and honeymoon rolled into one for less than the cost of an airfare. So, lots of reasons...

I'm only sad that the kennels are full for our voyage, we have a menagerie that will need relocating with us, but there's no room for them. I bet that's a prime consideration for lots of relocators too though...

Hi. Are you British and moving back to the UK? Do you miss the UK? How will you make the voyage if you can't bring your animals?

I'm not sure what you mean by "It is not so much about being a dual national but having residency" What are you referring to?

You have homes on both continents...does this have something to do with moving overseas?

I was just referring to the point that you dont have to be of dual nationality to relocate across the pond. And yes, to moving overseas i have done this but kept my domicile in my country of birth and my bank accounts, re your comment "I think it's quite difficult having belongings and accounts, etc on 2 continents, especially in this economy. "

I merely replied to your post as it is nice to get a variety of replies sorry if it didnt fit your precise curiosity :rolleyes:

Yes to British and moving back. Partner is American though, so I'll be involved in the visa application process. I miss the UK a lot, but will go wherever the jobs are when I graduate (I'm in academia.)

Assuming I have a UK based position, we'll still make the voyage without the pets as our airport is under a heat embargo for the months we will need to move anyway, so the pets will either stay with friends until the embargo is lifted and sent with a pet transportation company, or will be sent on ahead before the embargo begins for my parents to take care of until we arrive. I do hope that the kennel space is taken up by people legitimately needing to relocate their pets rather than just pets going on holiday as I can't imagine that a TA is a dog or cat's idea of a good time!!

I was just referring to the point that you dont have to be of dual nationality to relocate across the pond. And yes, to moving overseas i have done this but kept my domicile in my country of birth and my bank accounts, re your comment "I think it's quite difficult having belongings and accounts, etc on 2 continents, especially in this economy. "

I merely replied to your post as it is nice to get a variety of replies sorry if it didnt fit your precise curiosity :rolleyes:

I didn't understand the gist of what you said, and was just seeking clarification. I'm sure it must be easier to move overseas if you already have a residence there. We used to have residences all over the place, but by the time they got to me, I had to sell, as the economy had just begun its long descent, etc, etc, etc. However, it is easier not to have the burden of a residence if you want to relocate somewhere else.

Obviously, you don't have to be a dual national to move overseas, but it helps. I have lived on both continents all my life, but I see now that it might be easier, simpler, more peaceful, more Zen to be less scattered all over the place, as well as more efficient.

I do miss embarkation in Manhattan though, as opposed to Brooklyn; (the magnificent view going in and out, and the convenience) that feeling of sailing away from it all, and grandly.

Yes twice on QE2 dog, car and a crate I was just a baby when my parents did this in the early eighties. I have done it myself once on QM2 but only with my dog and some extra cases. I have dual nationality Canadian and UK. The dog Kennels on both ships are amazing my dog is old and I didn't want to put him on a plane for such a long time. I will be moving to the USA on the QM2 in the summer but this time only with a work permit so far I haven't ran into any problems. It was cheaper to use an overseas shipping company than Cunard but the dog was cheaper with Cunard. So it just depends on what you are looking for. Sorry about any typing errors it has been a long day:confused:

We did this two and a half years ago and will be using the QM2 to return home next year. It was a really nice way to travel and the children still talk about the trip. In the end, the cost was very close to what airfares would have been and lost more fun.

Archived