Gay. Friendly san juan

Blue Horizon

Going to follow this post.. My Fiance and I are sailing out of San Juan in November for our honeymoon cruise and we are now going to be staying overnight at the end of the cruise so we literally have a day and a half after the cruise to explore Old San Juan. Would love to hear about any specific places that are very LGBT friendly or possibly a bar/nightclub.

Congrats. Have you been to San Juan? My partner actually sailed from there 2 years ago. I suggest you stop at the La Concha Hotel for a drink. Not gay, but a happening place for 20-30 somethings. Quite upscale and restored to its 1960 vibe. We stayed overnight at the Caribe Hilton.... A great beach and close to one of the Princess cruise terminal. Norwegian docks literally at the foot of Old San Juan.

There is a hop on hop off trolley type bus for tourists that makes a circuit around the city and stops right at the port near the Sheraton. I suggest lunch at The Green Parrot in Old SJ. Not gay, but great local color and excellent burgers, salads and local fare.

My partner will be in San Juan from noon to 7:00 pm in late November. Any suggestions for a friendly restaurant or bar? Any other experiences we should enjoy while there?

Being in San Juan for only 7 hours is not long enough to see the gay lifestyle. However if you take a cab from the ship to Atlantic Beach Hotel, in the Condado, they are very gay friendly and at one time "only catered to the GLBT community." Now it's a mixed crowd but very gay. It was completely renovated 2 years ago and now has a very New York vibe style bar and restaurant. It's right on the Atlantic ocean so bring your swim suit and take a dip. Just remember to take a cab back to the ship by 530pm as traffic can be heavy. and you don't want to miss the ship.

Going to follow this post.. My Fiance and I are sailing out of San Juan in November for our honeymoon cruise and we are now going to be staying overnight at the end of the cruise so we literally have a day and a half after the cruise to explore Old San Juan. Would love to hear about any specific places that are very LGBT friendly or possibly a bar/nightclub.

Also visit the Condado area and Google Gay San Juan to find the gay night clubs in that area. See my post #5

Edited by CrusingJoe

Congrats. Have you been to San Juan? My partner actually sailed from there 2 years ago. I suggest you stop at the La Concha Hotel for a drink. Not gay, but a happening place for 20-30 somethings. Quite upscale and restored to its 1960 vibe. We stayed overnight at the Caribe Hilton.... A great beach and close to one of the Princess cruise terminal. Norwegian docks literally at the foot of Old San Juan.

There is a hop on hop off trolley type bus for tourists that makes a circuit around the city and stops right at the port near the Sheraton. I suggest lunch at The Green Parrot in Old SJ. Not gay, but great local color and excellent burgers, salads and local fare.

Thanks!! No we have never been to San Juan!! So this is our very first trip. I think we are more excited about staying in Old San Juan for a day and a half than we are about the entire 5 port 7 night cruise~!~ We are still on the fence about cruising and not sure how we will like it as we are used to A/I resort vacations and we love to stroll around quaint towns and see the sights. We are not very young though in our 20-30's :o but we are in our mid 40's but still very young at heart!! We will have to try heading over to the La Concha Hotel for a drink. We are staying overnight at the Casablanca Hotel on Calle Fortelza (sp?)

Also visit the Condado area and Google Gay San Juan to find the gay night clubs in that area. See my post #5

Yes, we will have to try and take a taxi over to the Condado area and look for a gay night club in that area!!

Being in San Juan for only 7 hours is not long enough to see the gay lifestyle. However if you take a cab from the ship to Atlantic Beach Hotel, in the Condado, they are very gay friendly and at one time "only catered to the GLBT community." Now it's a mixed crowd but very gay. It was completely renovated 2 years ago and now has a very New York vibe style bar and restaurant. It's right on the Atlantic ocean so bring your swim suit and take a dip. Just remember to take a cab back to the ship by 530pm as traffic can be heavy. and you don't want to miss the ship.

Atlantic Beach is a cool place - it's been some years since I've been there, it was still "all gay" then, but at that time they had a very nice deck right on the beach, great place for happy hour if you'll be there for it.

Also, right across the street from the AB and also facing the beach was one of the greatest (read: sleaziest) gay dives I've ever been to, a real walk on the wild side, everyone from white collar professionals to the underbelly of life. A friend and I once left the place with a guy who took us back to our hotel in a hooptie Cadillac that he had to start with a screwdriver in the ignition switch! Fun times but perhaps not for the faint of heart. They also had a drag show on Sunday afternoon in the street between the two properties.

Like I said, it's been a while since I've been there, so I have no idea if this other place is still there...and even if it is, back in the day it was definitely not for everyone...but the Atlantic Beach is fun.

Atlantic Beach is a cool place - it's been some years since I've been there, it was still "all gay" then, but at that time they had a very nice deck right on the beach, great place for happy hour if you'll be there for it.

Also, right across the street from the AB and also facing the beach was one of the greatest (read: sleaziest) gay dives I've ever been to, a real walk on the wild side, everyone from white collar professionals to the underbelly of life. A friend and I once left the place with a guy who took us back to our hotel in a hooptie Cadillac that he had to start with a screwdriver in the ignition switch! Fun times but perhaps not for the faint of heart. They also had a drag show on Sunday afternoon in the street between the two properties.

Like I said, it's been a while since I've been there, so I have no idea if this other place is still there...and even if it is, back in the day it was definitely not for everyone...but the Atlantic Beach is fun.

Oh Gordon, your talking about Barefoot. Loved that place, cheep drinks at AB and cheep men at Barefoot. Now it's a new building with an upscale bar and nightclub, New York style. Both bars have a mixed crowd, but I still like Atlantic Beach, which has also been done over. I still stop there every time I'm in town on a cruise.

Joe

Oh Gordon, your talking about Barefoot. Loved that place, cheep drinks at AB and cheep men at Barefoot. Now it's a new building with an upscale bar and nightclub, New York style. Both bars have a mixed crowd, but I still like Atlantic Beach, which has also been done over. I still stop there every time I'm in town on a cruise.

Joe

Barefoot, that's it! Thanks, Joe - like I said it's been a while since I was in SJ for more than just a cruise port call. Those were the days - I've been in bars in plenty of cities (and though it's all toned down a bit, we still have some...questionable...watering holes in DC), but for me Barefoot was pretty much in a class by itself. The fact that my friend really loved those kinds of places made it even more fun.

Anyway - to the OP - do check out Atlantic Beach, Joe and I :) are sure you'll like it!

Barefoot, that's it! Thanks, Joe - like I said it's been a while since I was in SJ for more than just a cruise port call. Those were the days - I've been in bars in plenty of cities (and though it's all toned down a bit, we still have some...questionable...watering holes in DC), but for me Barefoot was pretty much in a class by itself. The fact that my friend really loved those kinds of places made it even more fun.

Anyway - to the OP - do check out Atlantic Beach, Joe and I :) are sure you'll like it!

Yes you will.. Joe

Any cruises in your future Gordon? we have several book now through March 2016

[/color]

Yes you will.. Joe

Any cruises in your future Gordon? we have several book now through March 2016

Yes, heading out on Carnival Breeze next weekend for a back-to-back - going with two friends the first week (all in separate cabins) and then solo solo (as opposed to 3-corner solo :)) the second week. Looking forward to it, but alas we aren't going to SJ.

• 4 weeks later...

Partner and I might be on our 2rd honeymoon. thank to 9 people in black dresses the men in Indiana can now get married. We were committed in maui in 1999. Civilly united in 2000 in killington Vermont and no were are thinking about taking a few hours to hit the clerks office the week before the cruise.

I have cruise a few times and most of the times single because my partner is a 4th grade teacher. We are heading out on the Conquest and will be in SJ on christmas day. This is our first time there and my partner doesnt like the sun anymore since he has had a few rounds of skin cancer due to his stupidity in his younger years working at a lake dock with no SPF.

We are probably going to do a walking tour in old SJ and maybe end up at the gay beach and knowing my partner probably at a strip club. He loves to tuck a buck. He lives at the local bar on Tuesday night since that is stripper night. He comes back every week complaining of the same strippers and all the Str8 ladies that show up. Its the only male stripers in Fort wayne Indiana. We have about 8 strip clubs for men

I think we might attend the newly or not so newly wed game. Hell might be the newest and longist all in one. Might be married for less then a week and with you count the number of years we have been commited it s 15 or 75 in Str8 years. We are not the 20 to 30 somethings but we like to act like we are least in our 30's. After next June we will both be in our 50s.

Any info on Strip club would be appreciated.