Palama De Mallorca Caves

MitchellS

Trying to decide on going to Caves of Drach on 9/13. Will be in port from 8-8pm. Am considering going to Soller or caves. How do caves compare w/ Luray Caverns or any of the following; Harrison's caves, Le Grotto Caves or Camuy Caverns?

• 2 weeks later...
Trying to decide on going to Caves of Drach on 9/13. Will be in port from 8-8pm. Am considering going to Soller or caves. How do caves compare w/ Luray Caverns or any of the following; Harrison's caves, Le Grotto Caves or Camuy Caverns?

I haven't been to any American caves but I've been to lots of spectacular European caves and Drach measures up quite nicely. The paths through the caves are well paved, the hand rails are sturdy, and the lighting is excellent. It's a more polished--as opposed to rustic--cave but definitely a sight for the eyes. The end of the tour with the lakeside concert is magical. ;)

Edited by dln929

Maybe I'm not a cave person but they were super boring to me. The little singing thing that they did there was eh. I felt like it was so silly for us to be hoarded onto the seats and wait forever for a performance. Then afterwards it took us a long time to get out with the huge crowd. I wouldn't go back to them

the drive from the port to Porto Cristo (Caves de Drac) is about 1hr by car, by coach probably a bit longer. I don't think this is a very interesting drive.

I'm not a huge fan of caves ... so can't really say how they compare to other caves. If i remember correctly the whole visit took around 45mins. They have a little lake at the bottom, where they put on a light show while some musicians in a boat played music. A bit cheesy to be honest.

Honestly, i'd rather go to Port de Soller. The drive is through the mountains, and therefore much more picturesque.

If you have enough time, go via the ferrocaril which is a over 100 years old electric train with historic cars, instead of taking a coach. You can find the train station in the city center (Placa d' Espanya - 10 min ride via taxi), and the ride on the train is about 1hr each way. I really enjoyed it because the trains are slow, the landscape is stunning and you can stand on the little platforms on each car's end on the outside ...

Once you reach Soller, you should take the tram to 'Port de Soller' which is a beautiful small harbour. The tram is also historic and drives along the seafront.

Lots of little shops and eateries along the Port de Soller seafront, and the views are superb - i'm sure you'll enjoy.

Here are some links:

http://www.trendesoller.com/en/cms.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tranv%C3%ADa_de_Sóller