The Boat is the Destination... for a Solo Cruise

Telynau

I'm planning a solo cruise, either from NOLA or TX. Those are accessible via Amtrak & shuttle service from where I live. Since I no longer drive, asking someone for a 30-min. lift to Amtrak is less onerous than a 3-hour drive to the airport.

The hardest part for me is deciding on a cruise line. I'm happy just being out on the water. This would be a "maiden voyage", too.

All of my major traveling has been solo; conferences, training, work-related. My greatest thrill each time... being alone! Hmmm... that doesn't look right written HaHa.

I've been reading up on NCL, RCL, and *gasp* DIS. Disney sounds most promising for fewer revelers and party animals. Given I'm a more reserved, 55-plus Lady who doesn't smoke, doesn't drink, doesn't cuss (yes, I do know the rest of the joke [emoji6]), of these three lines, which would be a more pleasant experience?

Dates aren't really a problem. I know to avoid Spring Break especially. I have some wonderful stories to tell of Amtrak & "Breakers"...

Thanks in Advance for anyone willing to share their perspectives.

Not my rodeo. Not my bulls.

You sound like me, with the exception that I do drive. But I don't like doing it. :)

I have actually cruised 17 times with roughly half of them as a solo and 6 times out of Texas. I did NCL out of Houston as a solo last March. I was very pleasant and, by choice, I opted to sit alone at every meal. Alone with my Kindle. It was what I wanted. I can be sociable, but for this particular cruise I was looking forward to time mostly to myself.

I have also sailed solo on Disney. I did a 14 night Panama Canal cruise last September. I was much more sociable on that sailing and had the best dinner companions possible. Only the evening meal is assigned, breakfast and lunch you can opt to sit alone.

I would not hesitate to recommend either, however, the service and entertainment on Disney is superb. Also, they are many adult only areas (pool, Quiet Cove, Outlook.) Many of the lounges and other venues are adult only after a certain time. I have read that it is not likely that Disney will return to Texas after the upcoming scheduled sailings. I am booked on the final sailing as the ship repositions from Galveston to San Juan.

Hope this helps. I will be glad to answer any questions you may still have.

Lesa

Hello Lesa. Thanks for taking the time to write!

You didn't read it wrong, Disney isn't staying ported in Texas after their 2015/16 season. Pity. I contacted DIS directly when nothing was showing beyond the January sailing for Galveston.

Decisions. Decisions. I feel like a little one standing in front of a pastry counter LoL.

Hmmm... My past preferred dining companions were Knife, Fork, and Spoon. Fingers occasionally, if Dish was amenable. Sometimes Conference Packet or Book would join table side. They proved too be poor company with abysmal manners. Nothing worse then papers slogging through a saucy dish.

So enjoying planning a solo getaway. [emoji4]

Hello Lesa! Have you sailed Norwegian Line out of NOLA? That seems to be one of my better options with Amtrak schedules, pre-& post-cruise accommodations. Any other Solos are welcome to chime in, please.

I'm reserved for the Dawn, 7-day Caribbean, early Nov., mid-ship-OF, deck 4. Hoping to get a spa pass for a day or so, too. And discover the Library. And all sorts of quiet spots to sit and enjoy myself...

If you (or anyone else) are familiar with NOLA port what are your experiences? I'll definitely take a hotel shuttle or taxi to the port.

I have not sailed out of New Orleans. So I cannot advise you about that port. I do believe that the ship that sails from there is the Pearl? Which is a sister ship to the Jewel that I sailed from out of Houston. if so, I thought the ship was very easy to get around and I did spend some time in the Library while in Belize. Very quiet and comfortable. I would not hesitate to sail the ship again, despite how small the cabin was, and I was sailing alone.

One of my favorite ports to sail from is San Diego. I know that the Amtrak station is actually within walking distance to the pier. Although I probably would not be walking with the amount of luggage I normally take. :)

Lesa