Expensive shuttles from Everglades port to FLL

Soccerfan

Hi,

Yesterday we had a party of 8 that wanted to go from the port to FLL.

When we stepped outside we were guided to a shuttle service, before we got in I asked how much it would be. I was told $9 pp. :eek:

I refuse to pay $72 for our group to go what amounts to a 10 minute ride to the airport.

We declined the shuttle, took 2 yellow cabs and paid $14 each = $28 instead of $72. Added a tip in addition to this.

They are very aggressive at the port. One guy told us that it is mandatory that any party over 4 people has to take the shuttle, it was Florida law.

Not sure what ship he thought we had come in on, maybe the Banana boat :D

I'll add my story along the same lines. We were a party of 6 staying one night pre-cruise in FLL. We were able to get a van taxi at the airport that held us all plus our luggage (barely though). I think the fare to the hotel was about $20 + tip.

I spoke to the concierge at our hotel (Yankee Trader) the next day to arrange the same thing and he said that the van taxis are only at the airport. That we would need two cabs, but he recommended an SUV to take us. He called a company and they sent an SUV to take us all for $36. The concierge said it would be a minimum of $40 for two cabs. So we did this and it was very nice. Much nicer than the cab. Plus we were all together.

On the drive to the port we arranged with the driver to pick us up after the cruise and that was even better. There was a long line for cabs when we departed, but our driver was right there waiting for us. We were in a bit of a time crunch to make our plane too, so this helped immensely.

Archived