Review of Dolphin Swim & Snorkel at Chakanaab

QTPieRye

Last week we visited Cozumel on the Conquest. After taking a taxi for $10.00 to Chakanaab National Park, we paid our admission of $12.00 and off we went for a great day. The snorkeling is incredible. The water is the most beautiful color blue and is super clear. There is a lot of tropical fish and coral. You do have to swim out pretty far to get the best views. We did the Dolphin Swim & Snorkel and booked it directly through dolphindiscovery.com for $99.00 per person.... the ship charged $170.00 for this same program!!! After a short orientation about the dolphins, hand signals, etc. we were ready to get in the water.

First of all, I want you to know how incredible it was to see these beautiful creatures up close. They are kind and gentle creatures and I was amazed at how they responded to their trainer. The relationship between the dolphins and the marine biologists is amazing. It is obvious that they are very well taken care of at this resort. Their lagoon is part of the natural ocean that is separated with two fences; they are not in a tank like at SeaWorld or other dolphin excursion companies.

Back to the excursion..... our Dolphin's name was "Pegasus" After the enjoyment of receiving a Dolphin Kiss, and Dolphin Handshake... I was ready for the Dolphin Belly Ride. Upon me giving the hand signal, Pegasus swiftly swam towards me and as he approached he rolled onto his back, at which point I grabbed on to his flipper with my left hand and then my right hand. This was the most incredible experience of my life. I highly recommend this excursion to all Dolphin lovers. Well worth the money.

After our Dolphin excursion we went back to our Cabana where our waiter had our Bahama Mama's waiting.... we also enjoyed the best guacamole and fresh tortilla chips with cheesburgers.... Not too pricy and excellent tasting. The total cost was about $20.00 U.S.

PP1977~ Yes, they allow your underwater camera while doing the excursion. My friend and I took some pictures of each other doing the kiss and handshake... but then I had to hang the camera on the fence to do the belly swim. I was able to take it back out during the "snorkel" session, and got some great upclose shots of Pegasus... Quite amazing pics! The cost of the video is $35.00. I bought two photos of myself that came to $28.00... they were great quality pictures of me kissing the dolphin and the belly ride. I knew my underwater disposals wouldn't compare to these pics. There were 8 people in our group. The entire excursion takes about 1.5 hours and I'd say you are in the water for at least 45-60 minutes total, including the snorkel. You will love it!

Archived