Budget, francs and vatu

aries1081

HI, I know some people don't like to discuss money and I apologise in advance, I just wanted to get some idea on the type of Budget required to the south pacific 5 ports. We are a family on 4, we will have on board credit so that is no issue, drinks etc already payed for, I just wanted to know what I would need on the islands.

I was thinking a budget of $1000 Aus, having back up on a card and exchanging $200 Aus to Francs and $100-200 Vatu just to have money of each place if required. I have read many threads about only needing AU but I would definitely like to have francs.

I understand that there are alot of children that come to the tourists, I would like to give the children something, could anyone please advise if this is acceptable and would francs/vatu be more helpful.

Thank you

My wife and I travel together, so only two vs your four. On our very first cruise with five ports, we spent about $600 over the entire cruise on land. We didn't pay for any tours but did have a couple of taxi rides and bought a thousand trinkets that first-time cruisers always do! :-) We also tried a couple of local foods and had a few kavas.

These days, we wouldn't spend more than $100 on land for an entire cruise. The exceptions would be:

1. Buying an item that is cheaper overseas than in Australia. For example, in Fiji a few months ago, my wife bought me an expensive watch that we couldn't afford in Australia. So we don't really count that in our "cruise expenses".

2. A tour arranged once we hit land. We've done this just a couple of times in eight cruises.

Many feel it's not really worth taking a lot in the way of local currencies since, in many places, you can use your credit card for larger purchases. It's primarily in markets, etc where some cash is handy. Most do accept Australian dollars but pop the price up a touch for the inconvenience. Bear in mind that in Vanuatu, their banks won't accept Australian coins. So if you pay with coins, the local vendors can't benefit from it until they can get a tourist to swap the coins for notes.

Giving cash to children is a nice idea. I'm not an expert in this field but I feel it could lead to a wrong view of tourists (ready cash). We have, at times, given little gifts like lollipops and it makes their day! We also treat them nicely . . . something not all cruisers do!

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Markannab,

Thanks for your advice, I will take along some lollies etc for the children and have some ready island dollars, thanks again!

Regards

I would take not lollies but some pencils and colouring books or reading books they would love these, many tourists take clothes also you won't need much money on the islands but in Noumea they only deal in francs