Imagination Review: Santa Catalina and Ensenada, Feb 2015

Kobayashi

I recently returned from a four night cruise on the Carnival Imagination that sailed from 2/22/15 – 2/26/15. There were two port stops along the way – Santa Catalina Island and Ensenada – along with one sea day.

The Imagination is part of the Fantasy Class of ships from Carnival. One of eight ships launched from 1990 to 1998. In 2008 the Imagination received the Evolution of Fun upgrades that included Waterworks, Serenity Spa, Mini Golf Course and many other upgrades since the initial launch of the ship. The Imagination was last in dry dock during the fall of 2013 and has received several of the Fun Ship 2.0 upgrades including Hasboro Game Show and Playlist Productions. The Imagination was also one of only four Carnival ships selected to test the new American Table Menu in 2014. The menu has since been adjusted and is scheduled to launch fleet wide in late 2015. In late 2013/early 2014 the Imagination departed Miami for its new year round homeport of Long Beach.

The Imagination shares the Long Beach terminal with The Inspiration (another Fantasy Class Ship) and The Miracle (Spirit Class Ship). The Miracle has the longer seven night sailings to Mexico and 15 night sailings to Hawaii. The Imagination and Inspiration both alternate the same 4 night/3 night itinerary. The Imagination sails the four night itinerary from Sunday to Thursday and the three night itinerary from Thursday to Sunday. The Inspiration sails the four night itinerary from Monday to Friday and the three night itinerary from Friday to Monday. This review can also serve those considering the four night Inspiration sailing.

The top speed of the Imagination is 21 knots using six engines. However, the close proximity of the Santa Catalina (approximately 25 nautical miles away and less than one hour sailing) and Ensenada ports only requires the use of two engines often times sailing at only 6 knots. During the sea day the ship can be found floating at only 0.4 knots. The ship almost sails in a figure eight pattern in route to Santa Catalina.

The Friday prior to the sailing an agreement was made between the longshoreman’s union and the various west coast ports. There was a four month slow down/strike that had delayed product shipment throughout the country but did not affect the cruise line industry. However, literally dozens of ships could be found off the Long Beach shore waiting to be unloaded causing some congestion. A picture can be found later in this review.

I had previously sailed on both the four night itineraries on the Imagination and Inspiration. While there was a different cruise director the comedians on the Imagination were the same ones I saw last year. In addition, the shore excursions are limited and there are only a couple of main attractions which I’ve visited. This sailing I elected to skip any excursions with the exception of the Behind the Fun Scene Tour.

The seas were calm and we had a smooth sailing. The pool was rarely used as the water was too cold. The most recent health check the Imagination earned a CDC score of 95. 86 is considered passing.

Now…..on to the ship review. Hope you enjoy the adventure!

Our Ship – Imagination

IMShip.png

Ship Classification – Fantasy

IMShipClass.png

Imagination Fun Ship Facts

IMShipFacts.png

Our Itinerary

IMMapC.png

Our Weather Forecast for the Trip

IMWeather.jpg

I didn’t have any plans for a cruise this year but one night when searching the Carnival site I found a four night interior cabin cruise for $149 on the Imagination departing in six weeks. I have always sailed with an ocean view or balcony but the price was too good to pass up. This would be my first interior cabin so I booked the cruise. This was a 1A category which I had no prior knowledge about this setup. Here is a summary of the Carnival room categories:

Carnival_Libery_Categories.png

Here is the deck plan for the Imagination:

ABEEAF3F-93F6-424F-BB10-AC2369A7AC4B.png

My cabin was on the Riviera Deck grouped with other 1A cabins:

IMCabin.png

This is the image that Carnival shows as my room. My actual room picture is found further in this review.

IMCabinB.png

When I purchased my cruise I looked for an FTTF (faster to the fun) pass and this was available and would be available each time I checked the shore excursions. For this trip I decided to pass on FTTF and save $49. I’ve sailed out of Long Beach several times and on this same itinerary so I was familiar with the best times to arrive for my cabin to be ready. I also use self-assist to disembark. There isn’t a specialty restaurant on the Inspiration or Imagination so this negated the priority reservations benefit. In addition, Santa Catalina is a tender port however, if you tender between 7:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. a ticket is not required. Tender tickets are required if you plan on visiting the island between 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

These could be found up until the week of the cruise.

FTTF_LB.png

Here is a picture of the Long Beach terminal at 12:30. A lot of passengers had already arrived or were on their way. Check in for the Riviera Deck is outside of the terminal located behind the Captain’s Lounge. Once checked in you make your way through the security check point, past the embarkation photo’s, up the escalator, through one more checkpoint with your sail and sign card, on the gangway and then finally on the ship!

aa57d2b9-aa4d-414d-b774-8fd7ba8505b1.jpg

1e24fc5d-050b-4274-84bc-33c550f42ec1.jpg

3021aaeb-f9d2-447e-b880-908537a0b62a.jpg

b82231fc-b0c2-4bc6-b1d5-489eddf80a02.jpg

9f1e962a-e230-4db3-9027-5b5b9decc748.jpg

Here is a picture review of a 1A Category cabin. I met my cabin steward on the first day and never saw him again. This was probably the result of the cabin location as there were only a few other cabins in close proximity. However, my room was always cleaned. I was worried about an interior cabin as I prefer to wake up to natural sunlight but based on other reviews I left the cabin TV on the entire night. The channel was tuned into the front facing camera of the ship so when the sun came up the room became brighter.

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

Here are copies of some of the documents left in the cabin.

Good to Know Facts and Room Service Menu

IMGoodtoKnow.png

The Entertainment Schedule for the Week

IMEntSch.png

Liquor Order Form

This wasn’t included in the documents but can be obtained from the Fun Shop.

IMLiquorForm.png

Fun Ashore Excursion List

IMFA.png

IMFAA.png

IMFAB.png

Let’s begin our tour of the ship with the Art Gallery

The Art Auction is held in the night club but the art gallery is found on the Empress Deck 7 by the Atrium. There is usually a “guess the price of the artwork.” The current artwork is by Peter Max and the price is $25,800. This is if the artwork is of a colorful bridge. You need to be present to win after filing out a form during the cruise. However, once you fill out the form you can expect invitations from the art team. The prize for coming close to the price is two free pictures. I never found out what those two pictures were.

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

Night Club

This is where the Art Auction is also held.

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

This is also where you can pick up your alcoholic beverages after the cruise if they were confiscated prior to embarkation.

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

Piano Bar

This is also where Tea Time is held during the only sea day.

The entertainer was Hailey Morgan. In my cruises she has been my favorite and the bar always seemed to be packed when she was playing. I spent most of my nights here. A list of the songs she sings is included. For those that attended, I was the one that was always requesting the song, Let it Be.

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

Punchliner

Here is the bio of the two performers for our cruise. I was on this same sailing last year and these were the same performers. A lot of jokes were recycled but still funny. Jorge Solano interacts with the audience and uses his Q&A with individuals as his comedy act.

IMP1.png

IMP2.png

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

Serenity Spa

The first five pictures were from embarkation day when it was cloudy and rainy. Our sea day was sunny and this area was a great place to hang out.

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0332_1.jpg

IMG_0333_1.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335_1.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg