White Star Luggage Service

ms. tiburon

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Cunard's White Star Luggage Service? I'm especially interested in anyone from North America shipping their luggage to Southampton. We are planning on spending a few days in Scotland before our crossing and thought this might be a good option, especially with new security restrictions.

Thanks,

ms. tiburon

Hello there:

I have looked into using the Cunard White Star Luaggage service for an upcoming cruise and here is some information I found and some things for you to consider. First, your luggage would be picked up approx. 2 weeks in advance, this was a worry for me as your cases cannot be locked. Second, the cost per bag is one way, and is by weight. I believe it starts at 30-40 lbs, then 40-50 lbs, and so on. I travel with large hard sided cases, approx. 50-55 lbs. and the cost was around $500- per case each way. Third, the service has limited liability concerning damage to your cases as well. The information in the above three points I received from the Cunard White Star Luggage assistant I had spoken with. A few things to consider are: First, most airlines will allow extra baggage over the alloted amount (if this is a concern) with a fee per bag, usually around $90- per bag. Call your carrier to find out exact costs and restrictions. Second, depending on how you will travel to Southampton, you may need to consider traveling with excess luggage. If the Orient Express option is available I would recommend, the cost is around $250 per person, you have a nice trip from London and arrive next to your ship, there is also no luggage restrictions and after checking in at Victoria your cases will meet you at your stateroom. The food on the British Pullman is not the same quality as the Continental train yet is nice. There are restrictions in hiring a private car, most are sedans and will only allow 2-3 cases in them. If you have more baggage than this amount you would need to hire a seperate luggage van, or travel by means without a luggage restriction. I suppose it comes down to if the convenience of the service is worth the cost to you. Personally, I travel for longer periods of time in general and have around 8-12 cases. I pay the airline additions for excess baggage and hire a private sedan with following luggage van. The cost of this is far less than the charge of the C.W.S. Luggage Service for handling the same amount of baggage. I hope this helps a bit.

Best Wishes,

TAH

It appears that the luggage service TO the ship is somewhat different than the service FROM the ship.

I have only used the service FROM the ship and found it reasonably priced (cost and convenience).

But as TAH says, the process TO the ship is longer and looks to be more expensive.

You may want to contact DHL directly yourself and arrange for shipping to the hotel that you will use the night before the cruise .. then take the luggage only on that last part of the journey.

The airlines these days (post 8/10 specifically) are REALLLLY difficult with excess baggage .. so I am not certain what to suggest. Yes the extra formal night wear and all .. takes room and weight...but is nice to have along!

We are sailing on the QM2, Oct.12 sailing from Southern California. I also spoke to Cunard White Star Luggage service. Depending on the weight and insurance for 2 suitcases each $130 and up. I then contacted Fedex and for two suitcases 140 llbs with insurance using ground service $105 total. I then contacted the hotel that we will be staying at and they will receive our luggage and keep it in a saftey area. We will be doing this only one way. I was informed that many people are now doing this.:)

Archived