Gastric Sleeve, help...Cruise 7 weeks Post-Op?

Debbbiee

Gastric sleevers, is it possible to make this work? I have an HMO and my VGS was approved! It happened much quicker than anticipated. My surgery will be March 27th and my cruise is May 19th. I realize it will be a challenge but can I make this work on the cruise? We (6 of us) have already paid for airfare + the cruise. The surgery was supposed to happen after the cruise.

Any input would be appreciated. Being with an HMO, my surgery date may not be flexible enough to get it after the cruise.

I cannot speak from experience but I did have a co-worker that had this procedure done and she returned back to work at 6 weeks post op. However, she was still moving slowly and said she was not 100% but her doctor had approved her to return. I think you should speak with your doctor first and see what they have to say. Hope everything works out for you. :)

I had a VSG in 2011. Was off work for 3 weeks (sitting desk job). We did go travelling after 8 weeks and I was fine. I still couldn't eat much at all, but food was no longer my focus. I did get tired easily but didn't overdo it. Of course, your doctor would be the best for advice but it is doable if you're feeling fine with no complications.

Gastric sleevers, is it possible to make this work? I have an HMO and my VGS was approved! It happened much quicker than anticipated. My surgery will be March 27th and my cruise is May 19th. I realize it will be a challenge but can I make this work on the cruise? We (6 of us) have already paid for airfare + the cruise. The surgery was supposed to happen after the cruise.

Any input would be appreciated. Being with an HMO, my surgery date may not be flexible enough to get it after the cruise.

Congrats! I am one year out... In two days :) down 130 lbs and wouldn't change my decision for anything. Best decision I ever made. Wife did the same 2 years ago and she looks phenomenal. It works... But you also have to work... Walk walk walk... The run... Then don't look back!!! :)

Forgot to mention... You will be fine 7 weeks out. For me, I was amazed at all the stuff on the ship outside of the buffet! :) you will know by that point what food you can handle... And you will seek it out... And you will already be feeling great about your progress.

• 2 weeks later...

You will be fine. After surgery, you will be in the hospital for two to five days based upon your specific details. The day after surgery they want you to walk around the hospital floor as often as you can to get the gas they inflated your belly with to get out on one end or the other:eek:

No lifting of weights over 10 pounds for a short period of time.

30 days out you will have lost a lot of weight and fell much better! You will also need your first set of new clothes!

Remember to follow the post-op meal plan very closely. On the outside you will look and feel great but remember the stomach was a very soft mushy membrane and will take time to be 100%

Caffeine is out, beverages (beer, soda etc) are out too.

You have to take you time eating, not drinking with meals etc.

While you may now eat less and you will find you will have a lot if energy in your new clothes to enjoy other things!

You will be ready for the cruise without issues. Just stick to the plan as if you were at home.

Good luck!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/bariatric-surgery/basics/definition/PRC-20019138

Edited by FireStation46

• 2 months later...

I opted to reschedule my cruise from September to May so that I could get the cruise in before the surgery. Maybe that's an option for you? Whatever you decide, good luck to you!

• 3 weeks later...

I am reading some of the posts about being out 6 weeks and 3 weeks, and so on....my doctor has already told me 1 day in hospital, out the next day, and I can be back at work by day 3 at my desk job (granted I have no problems of course) Why such long recoup periods? Everyone I know that has had it is back at work in no longer than a week, and one of them is my boss, and his wife, the girl in the office next door and my son-in-law owns his own company and he had surgery on a Monday and was back driving to all his oilfield sites on Saturday.

I just would like to know if this is because of complications or what, mainly, because I want no surprises, because I want to be back here at my desk within 4 days....My PD officers don't function to great here at the office without supervision....LOL

I am reading some of the posts about being out 6 weeks and 3 weeks, and so on....my doctor has already told me 1 day in hospital, out the next day, and I can be back at work by day 3 at my desk job (granted I have no problems of course) Why such long recoup periods? Everyone I know that has had it is back at work in no longer than a week, and one of them is my boss, and his wife, the girl in the office next door and my son-in-law owns his own company and he had surgery on a Monday and was back driving to all his oilfield sites on Saturday.

I just would like to know if this is because of complications or what, mainly, because I want no surprises, because I want to be back here at my desk within 4 days....My PD officers don't function to great here at the office without supervision....LOL

I am currently 9 weeks post op and also have a desk job. Was in the hospital for two days. I was supposed to be out for 4 weeks. but came back to work after 3 due to boredom and felt great! (Daytime television is the worst! and when you are on liquids only, the food commercials are very hard)

I was on liquids only the first two weeks and had an external drain for those weeks also. Not something you would want to deal with at work. Also tired and a bit weak from the liquid diet. After that, was on pureed for several days and then transitioning to real food. You are not fully healed internally for about 6 weeks, so eating can be challenging. One of the reasons to stay out longer is that we are creating a whole new set of habits/lifestyles and you throw in a demanding job and the challeges are even more. I have been fortunate to not have any complications other than acid reflux (which I had horribly before due to a paraesophageal hernia that also got fixed), so am currently on additional prilosec to treat - which has worked. Be careful not to add spicy or tomato sauces too early. The sleeve is a very sensitive being:p

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any more questions that you might have.

• 3 weeks later...

Could be the difference in type of surgery rune-y vs sleeve I think I was in hospital 2 days and was at the gym 1 month after surgery and did fine. Remember your protein shakes they will help fill you up and then just follow the Doctor's orders (cliche) but its true and you'll be fine.