Scuba Diving

scubajunkie

My boyfriend and I will be in Roatan in Mid-October. We would like to go on a 2-tank dive. Can anyone recommend a local dive shop? Also, where is the best beach for snorkeling? Thanks

You might get more replies if you post in the snorkelling and scuba section..... they're a friendly and knowledgeable bunch over there!!

My boyfriend and I will be in Roatan in Mid-October. We would like to go on a 2-tank dive. Can anyone recommend a local dive shop? Also, where is the best beach for snorkeling? Thanks

Most of my diving on the island has been done with Sueno Del Mar. They are very nice folks, been there a long time (15 years or so). They are located in the West End area; all of the dive shops in that area generally hit the same dive sites, on a cooperating rotational basis. The prices at all of the shops are comparable.

• 5 months later...

We were on the NCL Pearl 1/25/09. I am finally working on my review. Here is the summary of our day with Bananarama for our scuba diving. We loved it.

For the day we had planned a dive trip with Bananarama. The dive package we had ordered included transportation to and from the resort. When we got off the ship, we got a hard sell from other transportation companies trying to get us to go with them to the resort. We explained that unless they had our name, we would not be traveling with them, as Bananarama would be picking us up. 2-3 different people tried to claim that they were our transportation, but none of them had our name. So beware, if you have prebooked transportation, that the taxis will try to get you to go with them instead! Our ride showed up (a very nice individual, and very professional) and off we went. We dove with another couple from the ship who had a friend pick them up from the cruiseship. It was like a private dive experience. Loved both of the dives, especially “Hole in the Wall.” Between dives, we did our surface interval on the beach at the resort and enjoyed lunch at the Bananarama restaurant. It was beautiful weather, good food, and very relaxing. Our dive guide was great. We had 2 good long dives and it left us wanting more. The dive shop was very professional and I would not hesitate to use them again. We did not meet the owners of the resort, but I think I saw the female owner receiving a shipment of vegetables that was being delivered to the restaurant just after we ate. They have a great location, and we were just down the beach from where the cruise ship takes their beach break excursion. If you were going to spend the day at the beach, a cab ride to Bananarama would not be a bad way to go, even if you weren’t going to dive with them. They are in the heart of the beach area. I wouldn’t have minded lounging around there if we had more time. When we wanted to go back to the ship – our ride was there within about one minute! Fabulous, great service all around at Bananarama.

Archived