Underground River Excursion

angielawton

We did the Secret River excursion last February off of Carnival and it was our favorite out of everything we did. If anyone in your party has any sort of mobility issues or problems with Claustrophobia they would probably want to avoid this excursion as there is a lot of close areas, darkness and some climbing involved. They provide everything you need - life jackets, water shoes, wet suit, helmet w/head lamp, etc. The trip was fascinating and flew by. Nice meal at the end of the trip. If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This was our 2nd favorite excursion of all time, and we do a lot of amazing excursions! Absolutely amazing!! We went with Pablo and he treated us like friends. You break into small groups of 10 people and each group tours a different portion of the caves so you never feel rushed or crowded. There is a lot of precarious stepping areas and some mild swimming/dog paddling. I do not think it would be good for a 5-year-old, IMO.

We did this excursion three years ago. It's the only one I booked through Carnival vs independently due to the ferry to the mainland, etc. It was our favorite and just a really great time. We only saw one other group of people there when we went while in the caves and it was only in quick passing in opposite directions.

I have booked this tour. Sounds amazing. Do any of you recall how long the ride is from the ferry dock to the caves? I was wondering if I can bring a gopro and did you tip your guide? Thank you.

The ferry takes ~20 minutes to the mainland. Then you have to take a van ride to the caves along a route they affectionately refer to as a Mayan Massage...very bumpy. That took ~45 minutes. We tipped Pablo $20. You cannot bring anything into the caves with you, including cameras, cell phones, or gopros. There is a professional photographer that goes with you and takes pictures which you can purchase on a disc for $20. Well worth the money...everyone in our group purchased the CD (it's catered to your party, though there are some group pics).

Thanks Sugar0802 for the info. I am confused about the different tours offered on the Carnival site. There is one excursion called amazing secret river that goes to Rio Secreto and then there is one called underground river and 5th ave shopping which goes to Cenote Chaak Tun. I am wondering if one is better than the other or how different is one from the other.

We did the Secret River excursion last February off of Carnival and it was our favorite out of everything we did. If anyone in your party has any sort of mobility issues or problems with Claustrophobia they would probably want to avoid this excursion as there is a lot of close areas, darkness and some climbing involved. They provide everything you need - life jackets, water shoes, wet suit, helmet w/head lamp, etc. The trip was fascinating and flew by. Nice meal at the end of the trip. If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer.

Is all that equipment necessary? I'm thinking of doing the excursion on an upcoming Celebrity cruise (which I imagine is similar to Carnival's), but Celebrity's description sounds more like an easy swim (or wade).