Children on Hurtigruten?

West Windsor girl

We did it in December on the Nordkapp and there were a number of children. There is a small play area and they fitted in ok. They were short term passengers only though - from port to port etc. I am not sure that the Christmas / Winter period would be best. The warmer / longer days I think would be more interesting.

Be aware, there are not structured programs or child minding. In a way, the ships are not unlike a great big "bus" or "train" going from town to town. The scenery is amazing and the crew and passenger are generally very friendly.

If you tend to do things WITH your child, then I would say to do it. If you want there to be entertainment and/or care then it is probably not for you.

If you tend to do things WITH your child, then I would say to do it. If you want there to be entertainment and/or care then it is probably not for you.

Fully agree with this. Apart from the child's play area, which you child will probably tire quickly of (I think it is more suited for younger kids), then there is no specific kid-oriented activity on board. So whether the journey is suited for a kid depends very much on the kid himself! ;) And how you are used to traveling with him.

There are some activities on board organized for all the passengers (observation of king crabs, how to filet a salmon...) but they only fill up at most an hour, often less. Some excursions might be of interest (the Sea-eagle safari comes to mind). The stops in town also are a nice change in rythm. But on the whole the child will be like all other passengers and left to entertain himself. I'm happy looking at the scenery all the time, but a child might not enjoy this for the whole day. But if you can think of activities to bring that would keep him occupied (maybe in relation with the landscape : how many lighthouses can you see? Can you spot the name of the ships we cross?) then it can be a wonderful memory for the whole family. You know your child and how he reacts, so based on this information you can know if it's good for him or not.

If you need more information don't hesitate to ask.

As the others have said, there's very little on board by way of 'entertainment' for anyone of any age. It's all about the landscape, the ports, the journey.

You know your seven year old best and how easily they are interested or bored.

The young children we have seen have almost all been travelling relatively short distances and out of necessity as opposed to leisure.