Solo in dining room on Allure or Anthem

muppetsguy

I cruised solo for the first time last year on Royal C. Liberty and selected My Time Dining. When I went to inquire with the hostess how solos signed up for the My Time Dining are seated, he said there weren't others he knew of and I could sit at a 2 person table by myself. So I ate dinner at Windjammer nightly instead(and the food was fine). I have upcoming cruises on Allure and Anthem and when booking I knew selecting My Time again would be a mistake so instead I selected: Traditional Dining 8:30 on Allure and Dynamic Dining Classic 8:30 on Anthem. Does anyone know how solos would be assigned to tables on those two ships? Should I just go to maitre'd on the first evening and ask? I don't really want to show up to a table and find that I'm a third or fifth wheel -very uncomfortable. And R.C. phone customer service people are no help - they have no info for solo travelers, including dining.

From my experience sailing solo on ships with traditional dining (Allure and Celebrity Summit), your best bet is to go to the dining room on embarkation and find out where your table is and who your tablemates are (in terms of solos/group, and table size).

I had a bad experience on the Allure on my first solo cruise - was seated at a table for 4 with a group of 3... So I was the fourth wheel! And to make matters worse, the group didn't show up after the first night. Instead of being proactive and asking for a table change, I sat there in misery for the rest of the cruise (except for 1 specialty dinner and 1 or 2 Windjammer dinners).

My next solo cruise on Celebrity - lesson learned! Went to speak to the head waiter, they found me a fabulous large table, and I arrived on the first night to find a table for 10 with a nice mix of solo travellers, couples, and friends! Had a great dining experience for the whole cruise.

I am going on the Anthem next month solo. I initially signed up for dynamic classic 8:30, but was advised by another cruiser who sailed solo already, to book dynamic (anytime) and make a reservation for one, then upon arriving each night, ask to sit at a large table. He did just that and said he had a wonderful experience each night with meeting new people, and was always at a large, full table.

So that is exactly what I did... Switched my dining and made reservations each night! I'm hoping things go just as smoothly for me, and for minimal awkward dinner encounters! :)