Stella Australis questions

travelgirl58

Hi. My husband and I are sailing on Stella Australis from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia on December 14th. Anyone else on that sailing?

To those who have already sailed, how important is it to have "waterproof" vs. "water resistant"? Where and how do you get wet? Can you get by with waterproof boots but water resistant pants and jackets?

If you had a waterproof boot that you really loved, pls advise as we are having trouble deciding on brand.

Any other recommendations for the journey? Anything you were really glad you brought or anything you wish you had?

We are also going to Torres del Paine, Bariloche and Lake crossing, El Calafate, and Buenos Aires (not in that order). Love any tips for those too!

Thanks much!

Hi. My husband and I are sailing on Stella Australis from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia on December 14th. Anyone else on that sailing?

To those who have already sailed, how important is it to have "waterproof" vs. "water resistant"? Where and how do you get wet? Can you get by with waterproof boots but water resistant pants and jackets?

If you had a waterproof boot that you really loved, pls advise as we are having trouble deciding on brand.

Any other recommendations for the journey? Anything you were really glad you brought or anything you wish you had?

We are also going to Torres del Paine, Bariloche and Lake crossing, El Calafate, and Buenos Aires (not in that order). Love any tips for those too!

Thanks much!

The Cruceros Australis cruises all use zodiacs to make their landings, which usually involve either jumping into shallow water or clambering over rocks. The weather in Tierra del Fuego is also notoriously changeable - I remember standing at the top of the hike at Wulaia and watching the thunder storm roll in.

So you will need waterproof boots. I wear and recommend Muck's Arctic Sport Boots :-).

The thing with zodiacs is that even if it's not raining, you can still end up with a wet bum from sitting on the sides of the zodiac. You might have sensational weather and get away with water resistant pants, but personally I always travel with packable waterproof pants (until the Royal Mail recently lost a box with my well-travelled Colombia pants), and a packable rain jacket. They take up the space of a tshirt in the luggage. My boots I've mailed/couriered home from all over the world to save luggage space when I no longer need them.

Depending on the rain in Torres del Paine, you may also need waterproofs there as well.

There is plenty of shelter in the boat(s) on the Lake Crossing so you're not that likely to get wet doing that.

Bariloche is a cute town, with plenty of chocolate/cafes and good hiking to walk it all off.