Transfer Santos to São Paulo

damon31

We are travelling on a transatlantic from Barcelona to Santos later this year.

I cannot find much information online about transfers from Santos to Guarulhos Airport.

Our Cruise line offers a day trip to São Paulo with a drop off at the airport afterwards but I was wondering if any one knows how much a taxi is or any other way to transfer between the two ?

Many thanks

Damon

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From the bus station in Santos, the Cometa bus for about R$30 goes to GRU airport, probably the least expensive connection. With luggage, you'd have to taxi from the port to the bus station in Santos, a few reais more.

Otherwise, you could look into a private transfer service that you could book ahead, rather than a random taxi. Probably $150/pp or so, direct.

If you want to have a look around São Paulo, and have all your luggage with you, the ship's offer might turn out to be a value.

Thank you for that, the ship is offering the transfer for about US$110pp inc the city tour and lunch.

so sounds like that is actually a very good deal Possibly the way forward

Thanks again.

I found this 2013 posting from a reliable local who posts frequently on various Brazil travel forums, regarding taxi (cooperative) pricing for the airport to port direction of the trip, which may help you compare, but the co-op has the monopoly for GRU, and pricing may be slightly different in the other direction.

"Guarucoop is more convenient, but doesn't offer a great value at R$325 for the trip GRU airport / Santos port."

• 3 weeks later...

The transfer you mention below is really an excursion. Did this cruise on Splendour of the Seas in Nov/Dec 2011 and did this excursion. If I'd known then what I know now, I wouldn't have taken it. It's an 8 hr bus ride with stops at a couple museums (you've never heard of), a nice churrascaria for lunch (all you can eat skewered meats) and a mediocre shopping mall. Sao Paulo metro is a huge sprawling city of 17 million with modern office & condo towers juxiposed to non-descript neighborhoods. We never quite knew where we were and what we were looking at.

For a transfer, you need to call whoever booked your cruise (RCCL or travel agent) and ask about RCCL's Transfer program from the Santos Port for this cruise. It's about $40 pp. If your flight leaves very late (all flights returning to the US and Canada do), you can also opt for a day room at an airport hotel.

We enjoyed this cruise so much we're booked again for this November. This time, however, we're staying in Sao Paulo for a few days and then on to Iguazu Falls and Buenos Aires.

Roderick

Thank you so much for that information

It was extremely helpful for us and I have contacted my travel agent to sort out just the transfers

We are booked on the cruise this November, when we arrive in São Paulo we are going to be flying on to the Amazon Rainforest for another 5 day cruise before returning to São Paulo for a couple of days

I think it's best just to transfer to the airport post cruise and do the sightseeing when we return after the Amazon.

Thanks again for your very helpful reply.

Damon

...........again for this November. This time, however, we're staying in Sao Paulo for a few days and then on to Iguazu Falls and Buenos Aires.

I don't think your impression of SP is going to change much by staying longer. My suggestion would be to get a quick flight to Rio, which has much more to do and see, and get a direct flight to Foz do Iguacu from there on GOL or TAM.

Yes, do something else. We debarked in SP and stayed two days too long. We are cruising again next year and debarking in Rio, then to Iguazu Falls.

I don't think your impression of SP is going to change much by staying longer. My suggestion would be to get a quick flight to Rio, which has much more to do and see, and get a direct flight to Foz do Iguacu from there on GOL or TAM.

We're from another sprawly city LA, which is not easy to know in a first visit because of the sprawl & will give SaoPaulo another try. I have a co worker who works in my company's Sao Paulo office in the Itaim Bibi area and she's given us some suggestions for hotels and places to visit such as Avenida Paulista, Ibirapuera Pk, Municipal market, Vila Madalena, Barbacoa and Bolinha (Feijoada) restaurants. Love Rio too but saw a lot of it on last trip to Brazil.

Glad to help damon31. Would like to do your itinerary to the Amazon and maybe throw in Macchu Pichu on a future trip to Brazil.