Help me plan Calica

ollychelle

I assume that the taxi ride from Calica to PDC is relatively safe since it seems that a lot of people do it. I see that the cost is approx. $26. Now I have a stupid question -what area of PDC to you have the taxi take you to? Is there a specific road or area that you should request. I am leaning towards doing this I think. Our other thought is doing either the Playa del Carment Beach & Shopping Excursion which is $60 or Calica Beach Break for $100. Any thoughts or experience on this. TIA : )

I assume that the taxi ride from Calica to PDC is relatively safe since it seems that a lot of people do it. I see that the cost is approx. $26. Now I have a stupid question -what area of PDC to you have the taxi take you to? Is there a specific road or area that you should request. I am leaning towards doing this I think. Our other thought is doing either the Playa del Carment Beach & Shopping Excursion which is $60 or Calica Beach Break for $100. Any thoughts or experience on this. TIA : )

Was in Calica/Playa del Carmen three weeks ago.

A taxi from Calica to PdC is $13 (one way) for up to 4 people (1 in front with driver and 3 in back seat) . Don't know how many in your party. If only two, ask two others waiting in line if they want to share the cost.

Yes, the taxi ride is safe.

When you ask to be taken into PdC, you will be dropped off curbside at the edge of the shopping area. There is, also, a beach in PdC that you can walk to. So pack up your swim gear and take it with you.

When ready to return to the ship, go back to drop-off area for a taxi. Most of the drivers speak Engish. Just tell your driver the Calica port. Once again fare will be $13.

Check the thread just above this for add'l info: Taxi Price....and best beach area

• 2 months later...

Playa del Carmen is my favorite beach destination and I have been several times. I wouldn't pay for the ship excursion, rather I would take a taxi and do the day on your own. Depending on when you go it can be very hot outside so dress with your swimsuit on already. You can ask to be dropped off on 5th Avenue and they will drop you off at the beginning of the shopping area. However, I am not a fan of that area. If it were me, i would asked to be dropped off at 5th and Constitution, near the Royal Hotel. There is a street right there that you can walk directly down to the beach. There is also some beach clubs near by, Blue Parrot being one of them.

At 5th & Constitution you can chose to walk either direction for shopping and great eating areas, as well as picking up an ice cream. There is also a place called Veronicas for massages that are extremely reasonable about $30 for an hour and they give the best massages. 5th is blocked off from car traffic and only foot traffic allowed, it has tons of shops and plenty to see and do. It is two blocks from the beach.

One thing I can't stress enough is to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS negotiate the price of your taxi to your destination prior to getting in it. If you don't I guarantee you will pay more than you would have when you get out.

Archived