Jupiter wreck 21.10.1988

CretaMed88

Can you tell me about this wreck that happened out of Piraeus Port on 21.10.1988 . I know about 4 fatalities . Are they any photos of the wreck . I really apologize if this thread is a bit out of subject. This ship was belonging to Potamianos ' Epirotiki predecessor of Royal Olympic

• 2 months later...

I was on board the Jupiter that day. The company I worked for (Regent Holidays out of Toronto) used to charter Epirotiki ships almost exclusively. Epirotiki supplied the ship, staff and officers and we were the Canadian cruise staff.

I had worked the Jupiter through the Med cruises that summer. If I remember right, it was a weird summer because of the Achille Lauro incident the year before. We had Greek commandos on board the whole summer, dressed as passengers, with these little black cases with them that I heard contained Uzi's that they could assemble in seconds.

Anyway, the day the Jupiter sank was our last day - all the cruise staff and passengers disembarked in the morning and traveled to our hotel in Athens, waiting for our flight to Toronto the next day. We heard the news and got royally drunk when we found out what had transpired.

Check out this link blogged by someone who was on board: https://mjbest.wordpress.com/2008/10/21/jupiter-cruise-disaster-20-years-ago

• 1 month later...
Can you tell me about this wreck that happened out of Piraeus Port on 21.10.1988 . I know about 4 fatalities . Are they any photos of the wreck . I really apologize if this thread is a bit out of subject. This ship was belonging to Potamianos ' Epirotiki predecessor of Royal Olympic

HI - as a survivor of the night 24 years ago your information is correct

We were a school trip ranging for 13 to 17 (ish) years of age

1 English school girl, 1 english teacher and 2 fisherman lost their lives.

We were hit just outside the harbour and were rescued by tugs and fishing boats - i along with many other went down with the boat into the sea and had to swim.

I do have 5 photos of the boat going down

Archived