Ashdod to Jerusalem by bus

cruisermsoon

I have some information about regular bus services from Ashdod to Jerusalem #438 & #448, leaving from the bus terminal 6km from port, however there is also mention of a stop at "HaNamal Junction" about 1km from the port.

Unfortunately, there is no way to locate this place on google or any other map, so I presume it is a local name for a junction of two, possibly major, roads.

If someone who knows the area could enlighten me as to the names of the streets that intersect at this junction, it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have some information about regular bus services from Ashdod to Jerusalem #438 & #448, leaving from the bus terminal 6km from port, however there is also mention of a stop at "HaNamal Junction" about 1km from the port.

Unfortunately, there is no way to locate this place on google or any other map, so I presume it is a local name for a junction of two, possibly major, roads.

If someone who knows the area could enlighten me as to the names of the streets that intersect at this junction, it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bus stop at the Ha-Namal Junction (https://maps.google.hr/maps?saddr=31.828,34.671841&hl=hr&ll=31.828383,34.670362&spn=0.018815,0.037165&sll=31.828,34.672444&sspn=0.004704,0.009291&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=17&t=m&z=15 ) about 1 km walk from the cruise terminal. It's good to check the bus timetable before you leave.

• 2 weeks later...

I live nearby and there is no way that HaNamal Junction is 1 KM from the port. It is the junction of highway 41 and Bnei Brit Road (both 4 lane highways) and is not walkalble in any way.

You could take a taxi from the port to there and pick up the bus but it is much better to take the taxi to the Central Bus Station where you can board at the beginning of the line, properly store your bags and get a seat.

And be sure to allow for extra time on the return. I have seen the roads packed and clogged with picketers intentionally slowing things up. Just don't miss the ship.

You make it sound like there are demonstrations and road blockages every day and all day. This is not the case . There might be one once or twice a year.

A bus can also get a flat tire or blow an engine. That is more of a realistic posibility

Like always use common sense and leave enough time on both ends

You make it sound like there are demonstrations and road blockages every day and all day. This is not the case . There might be one once or twice a year.

A bus can also get a flat tire or blow an engine. That is more of a realistic posibility

Like always use common sense and leave enough time on both ends

Another realistic scenario that has to be taken into account are times when there are VIP visitors in Jerusalem or a very large public event (like the Marathon this Friday).

Another realistic scenario that has to be taken into account are times when there are VIP visitors in Jerusalem or a very large public event (like the Marathon this Friday).

That is true and that is why it is always wise in any city to check if there are scheduled events and plan accordingly

I thought our jerusalem Marathon was very organized this year.... As long as you only wanted to walk (or run I suppose) wherever you were going! LOL of course skipping the whole Armenian Quarter of the Old City was highly recommended unless you wanted to walk on the walls - which I highly recommend!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Badatz and other local residents:

a question about EGGED bus travel, not including the Ashdod to Jerusalem service [which I believe is around 20nis per person each way]:

is there a multi-trip or similar pass/ticket [preferably which could be shared by two passengers] which could be used in Ashdod AND Jerusalem in order to get to/from the relevant bus stations [even a shareable 4-trip ticket would be ideal]? Thanks.

Hi Badatz and other local residents:

a question about EGGED bus travel, not including the Ashdod to Jerusalem service [which I believe is around 20nis per person each way]:

is there a multi-trip or similar pass/ticket [preferably which could be shared by two passengers] which could be used in Ashdod AND Jerusalem in order to get to/from the relevant bus stations [even a shareable 4-trip ticket would be ideal]? Thanks.

I am pretty sure that there isn't any. The bus companies went over to magnetic cards like metrocards and oyster and any deal that they have is per person on his card. I will be back in Israel next week and will try to get more info

I am pretty sure that there isn't any. The bus companies went over to magnetic cards like metrocards and oyster and any deal that they have is per person on his card. I will be back in Israel next week and will try to get more info

I agree with Badatz - there are no shared tickets. The magnetic tickets are per specific route, and personal.

I agree with Badatz - there are no shared tickets. The magnetic tickets are per specific route, and personal.

That is partly correct. You can also get a monthly card which is good for all buses in a certain area but I think that it is irrelevant for the OP

• 2 weeks later...

The EGGED site is not the easiest to navigate, however by utilising the Trip Search facility I did manage to get a timetable and map of the 448 bus stops in Ashdod. The closest stop to the port appears to be not #13 Ha-Namal Junction but #15 at the end of Sderot Ben Gurion, by the map's reckoning about 3km from the port area. I don't know if this road could be navigated by foot, but a taxi ride to this stop is probably preferable to going to the Ashdod bus terminus. Any comments from locals would be appreciated.

From the Central Bus Depot in Jerusalem, the easiest way to the Old City would be to use the Light Rail along Jaffa Rd.

To those who would urge us to utilise a guided tour, my objection, based on comments I have heard from others, is that the tours try to take in many sites, and the visit to the Old City, which is our main interest, is too rushed.

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice.

The EGGED site is not the easiest to navigate, however by utilising the Trip Search facility I did manage to get a timetable and map of the 448 bus stops in Ashdod. The closest stop to the port appears to be not #13 Ha-Namal Junction but #15 at the end of Sderot Ben Gurion, by the map's reckoning about 3km from the port area. I don't know if this road could be navigated by foot, but a taxi ride to this stop is probably preferable to going to the Ashdod bus terminus. Any comments from locals would be appreciated.

From the Central Bus Depot in Jerusalem, the easiest way to the Old City would be to use the Light Rail along Jaffa Rd.

To those who would urge us to utilise a guided tour, my objection, based on comments I have heard from others, is that the tours try to take in many sites, and the visit to the Old City, which is our main interest, is too rushed.

The area by Ashdod port is not pedestrian friendly so a Taxi might be a better option, though knowing our taxi drivers, they would be kinda reluctant to make such a short ride...

I would agree that a taxi might be a better option, and that they might be reluctant.

The light rail in Jerusalem is excellent. Just across the street from the main bus station and from the 'City Hall' stop an easy walk to Jaffa Gate or New Gate (i would recommend Starting at Jaffa Gate.

I also agree that often the 'ship tours' cram in as much as possible, and move more slowly due to the number of people. A private guide will go at your pace, focus on your issues and show you as much, or as little but in-depth as you like.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Like I said in post #5 above there is no way you can walk to HaNamal Junction and it is also a long walk to stop #15 It does not make sense going there by taxi as the bus can be full by then. Take the taxi to the Central Bus Station, (it might be just a few dollars more) and guarantee a seat for all of you .

Edited by badatz

• 2 months later...

To all those who kindly replied to my original request, here is a report on our successful trip to Jerusalem using public transport.

First of all, let me agree with the statement that the Ashdod port area would not be easily negotiated by foot.

Luckily, our ship, the beautiful PRINSENDAM, provided a free transfer to the Sea Mall, where the bus station is located, so if your ship provides a transfer there, use it, or take a taxi.

The bus services to Jerusalem are on a half-hourly basis, and from the bus station, catch the light rail down Jaffa Road to the Old City [tickets are purchased on the platform, and verified aboard the tram]. Railcars can be very crowded, however.

Also, leave plenty of time for your return. Buses can become very crowded in the afternoon, and we were the last two aboard our one, the remaining passengers in the line having to wait for the next bus. A very pleasant experience on the trip back when two really nice teenagers unexpectedly vacated their seats for us.

Also, note that although the incoming bus lets passengers off in the basement, outgoing buses leave from the upper floor of the Jerusalem main bus depot [tickets can be purchsed from the ticket office a floor below].

Hope this is helpful to any intending "do-it-yourselfers" in Ashdod.