Malaria and Roatan...

twopugs

I looked up online and found the following statement on malaria meds in Roatan. I guess I am looking for a bit more specific information....is it needed or is it only if you go to the interior areas?

Malaria risk area in Honduras: Risk throughout the country at altitudes below 1000 m (<3,281 ft) and in Roatán and other Bay Island. Risk exists in the outskirts of Tegucigalpa and San Pedro Sula.

Sorry for this post as I know it was posted quite a bit before.

A bit more of an explanation...

I know this is a big topic of debate and normally we probably would not take it. We have only taken it for a extended stay in Costa Rica and Africa. However, we are travelling with our son (under 1 year). I will talk to the pedi to see what she suggests but my concern is the effects any meds will have on him. Though, we can't use deep woods off and only a mild kid friendly lotion....so I am not sure if we even have an option not to have him take the meds.

Roatan is only 4 miles wide, so I don't think there really is an "interior." We did not find bugs to be a problem at all when we were there in January. We ziplined, snorkeled, and played with the monkeys. I am a mosquito magnet, but they did not find me in Roatan. We did not use any bug repellent in Roatan, but we had Off Family Care in Belize, no problem with bugs there either while cave-tubing. Before we went, I had also wondered about immunizations, but the effects of the prevention didn't seem to be worth it for our 6 hours there.

My fiance and I decided to go to the doctor today to get some sort of immunization for Malaria. They did not have the shot, but prescribed me doxycycline and him chloroquine. He has acid refulx which can triggered by doxycycline. It does, however, seem like quite a bit of trouble for the short amount of time we will be on shore. Doxycycline has to be taken daily starting two days before we leave, throughout the trip and then daily for four weeks after. Plus, it causes photosensitivity which is quite undesirable for a trip to the Caribbean. I'm on the fence as to whether I will actually take it or not. The chloroquine is a little less annoying, as it is taken once a week starting a week before we leave, through the trip and four weeks afterward.

Archived