Public bus fare

Ber04003

Thinking about taking the bus from Bridgetown to Holetown. Does anybody know if we can use US dollars or do we have to exchange to local money? Also, if we do have to exchange, where would be the best place to do so?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Some years ago my friend and I were on holiday in Barbados and got on a local bus one day. We were told we needed to have the correct money in East Caribbean Dollars. We didn't have it, but the lady bus driver was very kind and let us have a free ride.

My friend and I laughed as that would never happen in London (when it was possible to pay in money). You would have to get off and get the right change. These days you can only pay with a card.

It has been awhile since I’ve used the busses on the island but I’ll share with you my take on the situation. Fellow cruisers please correct me if I am wrong.

The big blue busses with the yellow stripe (transport board busses) generally want exact change in Barbados Dollars (BD$). Bus fee now is BD$2 (Two BD$ to one US$). I have taken them and thrown a US dollar in the till and they said OK BUT it has gone the other way, too. So, if you see that big blue bus and you don’t have BD$ I’d let it pass. There are ATMs and stores on the way but I wouldn’t go to that much trouble for proper change as you have a few more options.

Now, there are two other types of busses: Mini-busses (yellow with a blue stripe) and the infamous ZR vans that are white with a maroon stripe. I’m fairly sure these will take US$ but you’ll get change back in BD$. When they stop for you and open the door ask if they’ll take a US buck. Bet they do especially the ZRs.

Driving is on the left in Barbados so as you are going north to Holetown just stay on the water side and walk left when you leave the gatehouse. You’ll see MANY ZRs and MINIs, probably every 5 minutes, going your way.

Taking the bus on the west coast of Barbados is an easy deal!

(Try the ZRs if you want a thrill!):eek: