Carnival Ball Xmas & New Year

Gymgirl

We are going on the QM2 on 20th Dec 2007 and is our first cruise i am 43 hubbie 49 and son 8, and have a few questions hope someone can help.

1) What do we wear for the carnival ball?

2) Does the ship supply pool towels and can you take them to the beach?

3) If we eat in the Kings Court on a formal evening do you have to wear black tie etc?

4)Is there a roll call for this cruise.

We are all really looking forward to our cruise especially the dressing up for dinner but with a young son would just like to know what our options are,i know they do high teas, if he eats with us in the formal resturants

will he have to wear a black tie?

1) I suspect Carnival Ball would be much like one would wear for Carnvial held in many West Indian Island nations. (Trinidad, among others, is known for their Carnival) , Brazil, and Spain, or Mardi Gras in other areas. Probably Carnival masks and I supposed you could bring Mardi Gras beads. (Or alternatively you could wear really revealing tight skin suits with lots of sequins and those five foot headdresses, like Samba in Brazil! <LOL>)

2) The ship supplies pool towels. You can take them to the beach. they have a hamper for the wet ones as you re-board the boat. there are two large green pool towels in your cabin under the bathroom sink. But you can get towels to take on shore. I don't remember this time, but I think they had a table set up last year in the hallway or near the two deck area near where you caught the tender or disembarked. I don't remember seeing them this year, but then, I wasn't looking for them either. They also sell bottles of water as you are leaving. Sometimes this is outside the meeting place (Illuminations or the Royal Court) when you are going on early organized tours. Me- I just reuse an empty bottle and fill it with tap water, or better yet, I bring a large Propel Fitness water. It has a sipper closable top, and the neck is wide enough to put ice in. I fill it with ice and it melts through the day and provides cold water much longer. I also bring a neoprene wine bottle sleeve to keep it colder longer. You can also bring insulated sports bottles for this purpose, or buy one on the ship (in the store- souvenir type)

3) You may dress informally for Kings Court. You might feel a tad out of place since most people will be walking around dressed formally, but there will be some who chose not to dress. That's probably why they are dining at King's Court on Formal night! The restaurants become white cloth at night, with the exception of one, which remains buffet. However, it is appropriate to not be in black tie in Kings court. I do understand you might be concerned if the little one is fussy or uncomfortable. (then again, he might surprise you! If you expect the best of children, sometimes they surprise you by living up (or down) to your expectations!)

4) along the same lines, the young men get fussed over if wearing black tie. Even if you can't do the tux, (They are expensive, and he will grow out of it before you are likely to use it again)- but check EBay and used clothing shops- perhaps a dark suit with a cute little bow tie for him. He may do just fine, and will look adorable if you can "fancy him up"

And he may love he attention he will get. Sometimes when kids feel special and are in a special atmosphere they live up to it. Sometimes not. I guess be prepared to take him out if he gets fussy. Have your waiter prepare your meal to take to the room if need be and one of you can take him back (hopefully not) I believe I have read of people doing this if the little one got fussy. the waiter can put your meal together for your cabin.

I'll warn you before you get yelled at for not knowing (neither did I and half the people on these boards didn't know at one time- if you aren't used to it.) High tea is a huge filling meal. Afternoon tea is finger sandwiches and little cakes and pastries and scones.

What you will experience on board is afternoon tea. (Don't feel bad. I'll bet there are things we know that they don't know. We'll make fun of them and make them feel like idiots if there is some American custom they aren't familiar with! <LOL>)

More than anything, enjoy the grandeur and the dressing up. Enjoy your trip. and get that little one hooked on cruising early! Some woman will thank you for it some day!

Karie

Thank you for your reply ,have got a nice dark suit for son

1) I suspect Carnival Ball would be much like one would wear for Carnvial held in many West Indian Island nations. (Trinidad, among others, is known for their Carnival) , Brazil, and Spain, or Mardi Gras in other areas. Probably Carnival masks and I supposed you could bring Mardi Gras beads. (Or alternatively you could wear really revealing tight skin suits with lots of sequins and those five foot headdresses, like Samba in Brazil! <LOL>)

2) The ship supplies pool towels. You can take them to the beach. they have a hamper for the wet ones as you re-board the boat. there are two large green pool towels in your cabin under the bathroom sink. But you can get towels to take on shore. I don't remember this time, but I think they had a table set up last year in the hallway or near the two deck area near where you caught the tender or disembarked. I don't remember seeing them this year, but then, I wasn't looking for them either. They also sell bottles of water as you are leaving. Sometimes this is outside the meeting place (Illuminations or the Royal Court) when you are going on early organized tours. Me- I just reuse an empty bottle and fill it with tap water, or better yet, I bring a large Propel Fitness water. It has a sipper closable top, and the neck is wide enough to put ice in. I fill it with ice and it melts through the day and provides cold water much longer. I also bring a neoprene wine bottle sleeve to keep it colder longer. You can also bring insulated sports bottles for this purpose, or buy one on the ship (in the store- souvenir type)

3) You may dress informally for Kings Court. You might feel a tad out of place since most people will be walking around dressed formally, but there will be some who chose not to dress. That's probably why they are dining at King's Court on Formal night! The restaurants become white cloth at night, with the exception of one, which remains buffet. However, it is appropriate to not be in black tie in Kings court. I do understand you might be concerned if the little one is fussy or uncomfortable. (then again, he might surprise you! If you expect the best of children, sometimes they surprise you by living up (or down) to your expectations!)

4) along the same lines, the young men get fussed over if wearing black tie. Even if you can't do the tux, (They are expensive, and he will grow out of it before you are likely to use it again)- but check EBay and used clothing shops- perhaps a dark suit with a cute little bow tie for him. He may do just fine, and will look adorable if you can "fancy him up"

And he may love he attention he will get. Sometimes when kids feel special and are in a special atmosphere they live up to it. Sometimes not. I guess be prepared to take him out if he gets fussy. Have your waiter prepare your meal to take to the room if need be and one of you can take him back (hopefully not) I believe I have read of people doing this if the little one got fussy. the waiter can put your meal together for your cabin.

I'll warn you before you get yelled at for not knowing (neither did I and half the people on these boards didn't know at one time- if you aren't used to it.) High tea is a huge filling meal. Afternoon tea is finger sandwiches and little cakes and pastries and scones.

What you will experience on board is afternoon tea. (Don't feel bad. I'll bet there are things we know that they don't know. We'll make fun of them and make them feel like idiots if there is some American custom they aren't familiar with! <LOL>)

More than anything, enjoy the grandeur and the dressing up. Enjoy your trip. and get that little one hooked on cruising early! Some woman will thank you for it some day!

Karie

We are going on the QM2 on 20th Dec 2007 and is our first cruise i am 43 hubbie 49 and son 8, and have a few questions hope someone can help.

1) What do we wear for the carnival ball?

2) Does the ship supply pool towels and can you take them to the beach?

3) If we eat in the Kings Court on a formal evening do you have to wear black tie etc?

4)Is there a roll call for this cruise.

We are all really looking forward to our cruise especially the dressing up for dinner but with a young son would just like to know what our options are,i know they do high teas, if he eats with us in the formal resturants

will he have to wear a black tie?

I cannot comment on the balls, but will help you with words of advice from a stuffy Englishman.

Karie has addressed a lot of what you've asked. I'd merely add the following:

Please ignore her advice to refill water bottles, unless you've sterilised them. I know of people who have been taken to hospital on blue lights with water a couple of days after the bottle has been opened. Buy some. With the dollar as it is you really won't notice.

As for formal nights, there is no longer any excuse for the English male not to own a dress suit with Asda bringing one out at an incredibly low price. I gather the quality is a bit suspect, but the price is about £35 - and there is an offer with free trousers at present (I think....). If you can reach it, Marks and Sparks do very acceptable dress suits (what the colonials call a "tuxedo") for reasonable prices. With a good dark suit (and every man should have one of these, for funerals and weddings if nothing else) then you have everything you need for the evenings. You can do less formal than a suit on Elegant Casual nights, but believe me, the ship merits doing things properly!

I read your post as if you are asking about what I'd call a high tea - Karie's American and you know that most of them don't understand about the English and Tea. (With some honourable exceptions, many of whom are on this board.) I'm assuming you're asking about this for your son?

If so, then I'd not worry. At eight he is old enough to be able to eat in a real restaurant. And if he does, I'd suggest that he is old enough to follow the dress code. Don't treat him as a dressing up doll - he'll rebel against that I'm sure - but as a little Gentleman. I'd have gone along with that at that age (although I'm rather more formal than most now, I wasn't when I was younger) and I'd have loved the ship.

Dress up to the ship - you'll love it. You've seen the brochure, so formality doesn't put you off. And as for your husband, there is nothing to say that a dress suit needs to be any less comfortable than any other suit. I'm assuming you'd enjoy him in the James Bond look? In which case - normal collar on the dress shirt, and not those wing collars!

With a dress suit, the tie should be black. Colours aren't "black tie" which is the dress code. Having said that, many do, and with a sober colour he won't look out of place. But remember - James Bond wouldn't be seen dead in a coloured tie!!!!

Hope that helps.

Matthew

Put reply in quote box by mistake. Have got a nice dark suit for son,he will be eating with us most nights,they also have a childrens tea between 5 and 6 then he could go to the childrens club if we fancy one on our own.

Put reply in quote box by mistake. Have got a nice dark suit for son,he will be eating with us most nights,they also have a childrens tea between 5 and 6 then he could go to the childrens club if we fancy one on our own.

Ah!

Makes sense now. Nice meal, no kid. :)

Naughty, but nice.;)

Matthew

Was just about to say husband all geared up just wanted to know about childs dress code i.e black tie for children in KIngs Court on formal nights not getting too worried he's got plenty of smart attaire thanks for your reply son likes looking smart.

Gymgirl,

I got the impression you and your husband liked dressing up, but you were worried about your son. I must have missed the part that said he was 8, sorry. (Was thinking younger)

And that is marvelous that he likes getting dressed up. Even at 8 though, he will still be fussed over! Of course, by the time he's around 12, maybe 14 or 16, he'll probably want to wear dirty ripped jeans and not be seen in public with his oh, so square parents! So enjoy it while you can!

You're going to have a GREAT time on this ship!

Karie

Gymgirl,

I got the impression you and your husband liked dressing up, but you were worried about your son. I must have missed the part that said he was 8, sorry. (Was thinking younger)

And that is marvelous that he likes getting dressed up. Even at 8 though, he will still be fussed over! Of course, by the time he's around 12, maybe 14 or 16, he'll probably want to wear dirty ripped jeans and not be seen in public with his oh, so square parents! So enjoy it while you can!

You're going to have a GREAT time on this ship!

Karie

My experience, from having 4 boys, and were all of teenage years at one time or another, was that we told them what they needed to wear, provided said garb, and they happily wore it. They neither found us "square" nor preferred tattered clothes when it was inappropriate. Kids really do rise to the occasion if they're only asked to. There is no reason to expect them not to. Why assume such low expectations when it comes to children/teenagers?

My experience, from having 4 boys, and were all of teenage years at one time or another, was that we told them what they needed to wear, provided said garb, and they happily wore it. They neither found us "square" nor preferred tattered clothes when it was inappropriate. Kids really do rise to the occasion if they're only asked to. There is no reason to expect them not to. Why assume such low expectations when it comes to children/teenagers?

I couldn't agree with you more! My son proudly wore his "tux" for our back to back crossings at age 11 (not his first crossing however, but he was a bit young before those two and happily spent time way, way upstairs on QE2...) and has developed a fondness for the finer things in life... And yes, he's been back on board since ;)

I couldn't agree with you more! My son proudly wore his "tux" for our back to back crossings at age 11 (not his first crossing however, but he was a bit young before those two and happily spent time way, way upstairs on QE2...) and has developed a fondness for the finer things in life... And yes, he's been back on board since ;)

:) And since they are soon on QM2, you should see how happliy they go to the tailor for their "tuxedos". I'm quite sure they know how handsome they look and haven't got a lick of trouble looking handsome.

Hope you get to meet the pack of boys someday, M-L. <3

:) And since they are soon on QM2, you should see how happliy they go to the tailor for their "tuxedos". I'm quite sure they know how handsome they look and haven't got a lick of trouble looking handsome.

Hope you get to meet the pack of boys someday, M-L. <3

Thank you Angela! I look forward to that--won't they meet you in New York in April?

Thank you Angela! I look forward to that--won't they meet you in New York in April?

No, they'll all be either in school or doing their own thing in the real world.

Hey, why don't you check and see if there's still room on the QM2 3rd January trip? It doesn't seem to be all that popular so there still may be some seats available. It's the 13th that's all the rage, obviously.

Archived