Help on choosing cruise for gay honeymoon

RollTideGuy

Thanks for the info, coyboy1971.

I will look into some other NCL options as well.

Unfortunately, due to time constraints, I don't think a Mediterranean Cruise will work for our honeymoon but it is definitely on the bucket list! I dream of a Med cruise and hope we can do one for an anniversary in the future.

I'll check out your reviews of the Star and the Jade.

The freestyle aspect of NCL is definitely our main reason for considering them....especially for our honeymoon.

Roll Tide! (Despite the last two games. LOL)

Go with oasis. Its such an amazing ship. The wow factor is incredible. There is so much to do, and also romantic spaces like central park at night, thermal suites, etc. oasis is a once in a lifetime experience. U wont regret it

I would also go with the Oasis. Actually any of my past RCL Cruises beat any of NCL ships. Royal, especially the Oasis offers so much!!!

If you want an 'out-of-this-world' experience, where romantic meets fun, fun meets awesome, and awesome meets UNBELIEVABLE!!, the Oasis is the one for you.

Besides, reading Getaway's sister ship reviews, which are on the mixed side, I personally would not compromise MY HONEYMOON at all. Go with Oasis is the best ship in the entire world. CONGRATS!!!

Thanks for the responses Crystalkrt and Yurita.

We are leaning towards the Oasis. To be honest, I don't know why I can't shake the Getaway. Every time I think we have made a decision I start looking at the virtual photos of the NCL ship again and move back to undecided. Something about the style of the ship appeals to my gay genes I think. LOL

Yurita- I will admit that the mixed reviews of the Breakaway, the sister ship to the Getaway, has been the main thing keeping me from going that route. I sure hope the Getaway has some of those issues worked out....whether we sail on it or not.

Plus I love the wide open spaces on Oasis.

I loved your quote, "If you want an 'out-of-this-world' experience, where romantic meets fun, fun meets awesome, and awesome meets UNBELIEVABLE!!, the Oasis is the one for you."

Is that on a brochure somewhere??? If it isn't, it definitely should be!

We are leaning towards the Oasis. To be honest, I don't know why I can't shake the Getaway. Every time I think we have made a decision I start looking at the virtual photos of the NCL ship again and move back to undecided. Something about the style of the ship appeals to my gay genes I think. LOL

Yurita- I will admit that the mixed reviews of the Breakaway, the sister ship to the Getaway, has been the main thing keeping me from going that route. I sure hope the Getaway has some of those issues worked out....whether we sail on it or not.

I loved your quote, "If you want an 'out-of-this-world' experience, where romantic meets fun, fun meets awesome, and awesome meets UNBELIEVABLE!!, the Oasis is the one for you."

If you want to splurge a little then I would suggest you book a suite with NCL. The suite experience with NCL is the best their is. A suite on NCL will give you a "out of this world experience". My partner and I got engaged on the NCL Jade and let me tell you the staff went out of their way to make it a special day. We had a couples massage and when we got back into our room the concierge had chocolate covered strawberries and champagne waiting, she also sprinkled rose petals in the shape of a heart on the bed and had a bubble bath waiting for us, and to top if all off we had a wonderful dinner served to us on our balcony.... it was a very special and unforgettable night.

That sounds like such a wonderful engagement trip, Bocadude85!

I do love what I've seen of the Haven suites, but I'm just not sure our budget will let us spring for one. I've told the cruise consultant at NCL to please be on the look out for any deals they run on the Haven suites.

Here's a very well-done professional video of the Allure. You can expect the same on the Oasis, just so you get a "professional idea" of what to expect on the Oasis

BTW, the quote you love is just my inspiration when I boarded the Oasis.... that's how I felt.

RollTideGuy: me think you are over thinking. Sure, you want the perfect honeymoon. We get that, but no matter what ship you go on you will have amazing time because you don't have anything to compare it too as this is your first cruise experience. Both cruise lines have their fans and both have pros and cons. But if you really want the "WOW" factor then hands down the Oasis will win over NCL just by the shear sides and amenities. This really is a no brainer in my opinion. Here's an idea - do the Oasis for the honeymoon and the Getaway for your 1st year anniversary as that ship will have a full year of operations to work out the kinks.

I also think that no matter which ship you choose, you will be on a cruise, and that will give you a great experience. As you can see, I am an NCL fan. I like the casual feel of their cruises, the ease of going for dinner where and when I want, and the great staff. On the 3 cruises we have done, the staff were very gay friendly, with great GLBT gatherings. Some were hosted by staff, and all were advertised.

Our experience on the Epic taught us that you can have a ton of amenities, but we only experienced half of the entertainment on the ship. Remember, it's your honeymoon. You want to spend time together.

Whatever ship you choose, I would recommend a spa pass. Great way to spend your time. We also met a couple on the Epic, who booked an inside cabin, and with the money saved, got a Posh pass. We met at Posh (it was ~$60), which has a cool vibe and gave them the ultimate outdoor space at a greatly reduced cost. Getaway has its own version of Posh. If my partner wasn't claustrophobic and insisted on a balcony, I thought this was a great way to spend less on the room, but still have a special place to hang out at.

Just a few comments. Have a great honeymoon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks so much for the replies COMBOY and CanadaTraveller.

COMBOY- I told my partner about you saying that I was over thinking it and he literally laughed out loud. I am very much a type A planner....especially for this honeymoon! LOL So yes, overthinking is a strong point of mine. :)

CanadaTraveller- We are definitely doing a Spa Pass. I am so excited about those thermal suites!

• 8 months later...

Hello Turtle06.

I had a bird watching question in CC’s search section and came upon your Antarctica photo journal. Can’t tell you how much I enjoyed reading your fascinating report of your Antarctica adventure. I often was mesmerized by your photos of the unreal quite beauty of this place and just loved the pictures of the birds, especially how you caught the interaction between the penguins.

One day I hope to see it all with my own eyes, it is high on my wish list. Thank you very much for taking the time to post this wonderful photo journal.

Hendrika

Great memories

1980 Society Expeditions – Galapagos

1981 Island (old) Princess – Alaska

1988 Lindblad Expeditions – Sea of Cortez

1988 Society Expeditions – Canada/New England

1989 Society Expeditions – Alaska

1995 Cruise West – Alaska

1996 Kangaroo Explorer - Great Barrier Reef

1997 Reef Endeavour - Great Barrier Reef

1998 Reef Endeavour- Great Barrier Reef

2010 Sun Princess – Australia/New Zealand