Mayan ruins.. what do you wear?

Shelleywood

I know this question may seem like only a fashion question but it's a serious need to know. We will be in Progresso next month and are going to do the Uxmal ruins. For those of you who have done this, what kind of clothes and footwear do people wear?

I know it's a long walk so do you wear athletic shoes or hiking boots or what? It's also going to be hot and I'm sure lots of mosquitos and bugs. So, do you wear pants, jeans, or shorts? Just want to be comfortable and enjoy the excursion.. Thanks for your help!:D

I made sure everyone in my family wore tennis shoes. These were just fine for the terrain and hiking boots are not necessary.

Wear whatever you will be cool in. A tank or cami covered with a breezy blouse and cool shorts would work great. Bring bug repellant, sun screen, and buy some extra water at the right of the turnstiles before you go through them. It is HOT, but worth it. Enjoy!

I would thank the most important would be comfortable shoes. You will be walking over some uneven rocky paths. Long pants or shorts would be what you are comfortable in. It does get very hot and sticky at the ruins so a bottle of water would be good to take just in case. Depending on the season and the weather bugs can most definetly be a problem. The sun in the Yucatan can burn you quickly so don't forget to at least put on some suntan lotion before heading out for the day. Have a great trip.

That´s simple!!!! You shold wear: Pants, shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes, and a hat. Take with you: water, sun glasses,sun block, bugs repellant and of course, YOUR CAMERA!!!

:)

I agree with cyranie - just like you would wear walking around MS in August - something comfortable for hot/humid outdoor activities. Also I think cyranie is 1st to mention a hat. I have a boonie style hat made by Teva that has mesh layer between the top and bill so it allows air movement under the hat but protects my good looks :D!!!

I also think that you will not be allowed to take a tripod but you can take your camera.

Have fun!

T523

Long sleeve shirt and long pants . . . to minimize inspect bites and sunburn (I picked up some nice lightweight long-sleeve shirts at Orvis). Insect repellent (either with DEET or picaridin . . . I like the latter at 15 percent solution; also use permethrin on the clothing), sunscreen (La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF 60 is the best), hat (some nice hats at Tilley), and walking shoes (not necessarily hiking boots, but not tennis shoes either . . . you want traction to allow you to walk safely and climb).

Archived