Facts for Norovirus on Ships

ga-shel

I have tryed to post this many time this morning and am having trouble. Hopefully this will answer most of your questions.

Facts About Noroviruses on Cruise Ships

Noroviruses

Noroviruses are a group of viruses (previously known as Norwalk-like viruses) that can affect the stomach and intestines. These viruses can cause people to have gastroenteritis, an inflammation of the stomach and the large intestines. Gastroenteritis is sometimes called a calicivirus infection or food poisoning, even though it may not always be related to food.

Norovirus is sometimes called the “stomach flu,” although it is not related to the flu (a common respiratory illness cause by the influenza virus).

Symptoms caused by noroviruses

Common symptoms: vomiting, diarrhea, and some stomach cramping

Less common symptoms: low-grade fever, chills, headache, muscle aches, nausea, and tiredness

This illness often begins suddenly, and the infected person may feel very sick. Normally the illness lasts about 1 to 2 days. Children often vomit more than adults.

Where noroviruses are found

Noroviruses are found in the stool or vomit of infected people and on infected surfaces that have been touched by ill people. Outbreaks occur more often where there are more people in a small area, such as nursing homes, restaurants, catered events, and cruise ships.

Reasons why noroviruses are associated with cruise ships

• Health officials track illness on cruise ships. Therefore, outbreaks are found and reported more quickly on a cruise ship than on land.
  • Close living quarters may increase the amount of group contact.
  • New passenger arrivals may bring the virus to other passengers and crew.

How noroviruses are spread

People can become infected with the virus by:

· Eating food or drinking liquids infected with noroviruses

· Touching surfaces or objects infected with noroviruses and then touching own mouth, nose, or eyes

· Having person-to-person contact (with a norovirus-infected person) by

o being present while someone is vomiting

o sharing food or eating from the same utensils

o caring for a sick person

o shaking hands

· Not washing hands after using the bathroom or changing diapers and before eating or preparing food.

Norovirus infections are not usually serious

Noroviruses are highly contagious, but infections are not usually serious. People may feel very sick and vomit often or get diarrhea, becoming dehydrated if lost liquids are not replaced. Most people recover within 1 or 2 days and have no long-term adverse health effects.

What to do if you get norovirus

Advise the medical staff of your illness. Drink plenty of fluids. Wash hands often.

How to prevent getting and spreading noroviruses

• Wash hands often. Wash hands after using the bathroom or changing diapers and before eating or preparing food. Wash hands more often when someone in your home is sick. For hand washing tips, click on the following link: http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/pub/Handwashing/HandwashingTips.htm

• Avoid shaking hands during outbreaks.

• Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer along with handwashing.

Handwashing Tips and Techniques

The single Most important activity a cruise passenger can engage in to prevent the spread of Norovirus (Norwalk-like virus) is frequent and proper handwashing.

• Wash your hands after:

o Using the toilet
    o Coughing or sneezing into hands
    o Engaging in any activity that may have contaminated hands

• Wash your hands before:

o Handling food
    o Eating or drinking
    o Smoking
    o Brushing teeth
    o Engaging in any activity that involves hand-to-mouth contact.

• Wash your hands upon returning to your cabin.

• Wash your hands frequently throughout the day even if you think they don’t need to be washed.

Wash your hands using the following procedure:

1. Wet hands with warm water.

2. Apply a generous amount of soap and later hands well.

3. Rub hands together for 20 seconds, paying special attention to the areas between fingers and under nails.

4. Rinse hands thoroughly with warm water.

5. Dry hands with a disposable towel

6. Use the disposable towel to turn off the faucet and open the door.

I'm a school nurse and have 2 kids of my own - It sends me into a frenzy when i see my students do the casual "rinse" no soap after using the bathroom!

What I teach them is to sing an entire round of Happy Birthday to themselves in the mirror while lathering up the soap - Don't rinse until the song is "over"!

Some kids now sing old mcdonald which is fine with me too! As long as they are getting the point!

Sung to the tune of row, row, row - your boat!

Wash - Wash- Wash - your hands

Keep them buggy free

take some soap and lather up

don't give your bugs to me!!!!!!

I said I was a nurse not an entertainer! :D

Works for my pre-schoolers!

Carolyn

ga-shel,

thanks for posting this information. Everyone should follow these guidelines whether on a cruise ship or at home. I work as a cashier in a gourmet food store and we have hand sanitizer at the registers so we can sanitize our hands between customers or when moving from one task to another.

I have had people cough and sneeze right in my face (yes, adults, not children) because they don't cover their mouths and noses! Don't these people know any better? I have taught my children to cough or sneeze into the inside of their elbow so they are not constantly contaminating their hands.

We recently returned from a cruise on the Majesty and I was pleased to see sanitzing stations at the buffet lines on CocoCay, but would like to have seen them on the ship as well. An improvement I am hoping for when we sail again in May with our daughter.

If every person just showed some courtesy and concern for everyone else, there would be fewer outbreaks, both on the seas and on land. JMHO

Archived