Carnival Elation 4-17-05 Progresso Excursions

Been looking and researching posts here and other places. Anyone intereted in going together and renting a mini-van in Progresso to do a tour of either:

Chichen Itza (" This site is a very popular tourist attaction. Many tour buses arrive from Cancun as well as Merida. Do go very early or very late to see that light show and spend the night. Then return in the early morning to visit the ruins. This is one of the best restored Maya ruins in the Yucatan. It shows the influence of the Toltec and the Olmec. This site feels very angry to me. It is worth the time to visit as it is very fascinating. It is located about 145 Km. from Tulum via the road past Coba to Chemax then highway 180 to Chichen Itza via Valladolid. The road was very good when I traveled it in September 2000!

Dzibilchaltun (""Maya for Place of Inscribed Flat Stones" This is the Temple of the Seven Dolls and is about 15 Km. north of Merida. It is just off the highway that takes you to Progreso. There is a cenote (sink hole) called Xlacah Cenote that you can swim in to refresh yourself after you visit the site. The cenote is beautiful and the water is crystal clear. I loved this aspect as it was so hot and humid the days that I was there. Yes, I visited this site two times while I was in Merida."),

Uxmal ("Maya for Thrice Built" This is the Piramide del Adivino (Pyramid of the Magican). This site is south of Merida about 80 Km. Uxmal doesn't have any other influence other than Maya. Uxmal is worth the visit if you have the time. This site promotes a very peaceful feeling for visitors. This is probably the most magnificent site that I have visited!")

Xcambo, the only things I have read about this is that it is really close to Progresso, is not swamped with tourists like the other 3 and would give someone more time to shop etc. The trade off is that while you wont be suffocated by crowds, they are not as impressive either.

As an example, 3 couples sharing a rental mini van would be about $30 a couple, $12 a couple for admission, $10 for a guide......total about $52 per couple to avoid a group of maybe 100 or more on the Carnival tour and compare the costs. I have been on 7 Carnival cruises so far and on the 1st 5 I paid the freight for the shore excursions. There is NO value in what they charge. So if you are couple with no kids (sorry, we are in our late 40's and ours are all grown up) and want to consider this with us email me by putting @aol.com behind my user name. Lets get together in Progresso and have fun. Save your shopping time for Cozumel, its better there !

Archived