Things to do with a baby in Cozumel

Ellaa

My husband and I are going on RC Liberty of the Seas next month with our 1 year old son. It will be our first time on Royal Caribbean and our baby's first cruise (We've been on Princess, NCL, and Discovery). Does anyone have any advice or tips for cruising with a baby?

Secondly, any ideas about what to do with a baby in Cozumel? It looks like most of the shore excursions are to beach clubs. We live in South Florida so the idea of paying to go to a beach seems a little silly to me- all we have to do is drive 10 mins down the street and there are beautiful beaches that are free and probably less crowded. We're are not interested in shopping for souvenirs. I would like to see the Mayan ruins but I think that would be difficult with a 1 yr old. We don't want to have to lug a car seat around so that rules out taking a taxi. Ok, so did I just rule everything out:/

I was thinking about walking to Discover Mexico Park or walking to the downtown area and going to the Cozumel Museum. Does anyone else have any suggestions???

Honestly, there isn't much to do in Cozumel for adults and I wouldn't even feel safe bringing a baby into this port. It's a run down, clearly poverty striken area and can be scary if you venture too far from the dock. I visited this port once and would never go back.

Cozumel is a Very Safe port, we have been there many many times. (on almost every cruise Ive been on) Never Never felt unsafe.

We will be going again in a few days, taking The "Traveling GingerBaby on the Go" (8mos old) and my Niece (11yrs) on their first Cruise. We are planning on doing the SemiSub... its basically a Glass bottom boat... the boat stays on the water, (that is to say it is not a submarine) ... you walk down about 8 stairs to approx 4 ft below the water line, and there are seats, facing Large Picture windows... you see lots of colorful fish and coral... It is very lovely to see.... I think the baby will really like watching and seeing the fish... it leaves from the pier (and Im sure can be booked thru the cruise line)... Check into that.. it is a good length too...not too long, not to short,

Again, Please enjoy this port...it IS safe and even if you walk around the square down town (market place type) you will enjoy it.

Just remember you are in a different country. (altho it is Very Americanized... they take US $ in almost all the shops, your reciepts will likely be listed in US$ not pasos.. most everyone speaks English....etc) but use the same Common Sense you would use while traveling anywhere you are unfamiliar with... be aware of your surroundings etc...

Have fun!

Honestly, there isn't much to do in Cozumel for adults and I wouldn't even feel safe bringing a baby into this port. It's a run down, clearly poverty striken area and can be scary if you venture too far from the dock. I visited this port once and would never go back.

Jennifer, are you sure youre thinking of Cozumel?:confused:

Yes. I was there in 2003. Maybe things have changed since then. My BF and I rented a car and drove around the island for the day. Mind you, I live right near Philadelphia so I'm not scared of much - this place frightened me. The beach, when we finally got there, was beautiful - it's the surrounding areas that were sketchy to me. I saw what I still call the "delapidated cows". I have never seen such skinny, sickly looking milk cows in my life - it looked like their skin was about to fall off.

wow... interesting. :o

Yes, if you went to the 'wild side' (only refering that its less populated) it is 'different'... and Yes, Cozumel had become very commericalized (sp?) in the last several years. So it probably is different than when you were there... they have new piers since the big hurrican came thru... its nice, but like I mentioned very "Americanized".

If you do go back, you would probably find it a bit 'safer' feeling... they do rely on Cruiseship/tourisum dollar, so they 'want' people to feel safe there.

:)

(edit to add some pic taken at the pier--2008/2011)

357.jpg.8f9a9fa54a6f122e24f5e197efdff69b.jpg

DSC03092.jpg.dbc170b48a47999b94d517149f5b0004.jpg

1986262080_Magic-Christmans11-12-2011160.jpg.7ba1041c27e42c9100b7c07eed13aa6c.jpg

I'm not overly concerned about safety there-I've travelled a lot around the world and I'm always aware of my surrounds when in another country. Besides, we wouldn't be going very far from the touristy areas anyway.

Parrothead- I really like the idea of the semisub! I'm going to look into that, I think that would be something we would all enjoy. Thanks!!

I'm not overly concerned about safety there-I've travelled a lot around the world and I'm always aware of my surrounds when in another country. Besides, we wouldn't be going very far from the touristy areas anyway.

Parrothead- I really like the idea of the semisub! I'm going to look into that, I think that would be something we would all enjoy. Thanks!!

When do you sail? We will be doing it next week, I will post pics...

We are taking our baby to Chankannab with us. I would not stay onboard I have never felt unsafe in cozumel. Maybe just go to a beach for a few hours

We are also looking here. If nothing else, I think our DS#2 will like to see Dolphins up close. We might even do the encounter....

I won't be much help because our plan is to just get off the boat and walk around with dd in the stroller, visit a few shops, maybe have a drink and some chips and salsa. I would not at all feel concerned about taking a small child off the ship in Cozumel. OF all of the ports for my next cruise, this is the one I am least concerned about. DH and I went to an AI two years ago in riveria maya and took a side trip to cozumel on the ferry. When we got off at the pier there were plenty of tour operators waiting offering tours, a short walk up to shops, restaurants, bars and pubs. It was very commericalized and Americanized. So I have no concerns about getting off the ship with my baby. Personally I would not recommend trying to do the ruins with a child that small. We did the ruins at Tulum and even though it was only early May it was scorching hot. There was a lot of walking and I got extremely sunburned. Also, I believe the ruins are kind of a ways from Cozumel and I THINK you have to go to the mainland, which if that is the case, means a ferry ride. Now I was 6 weeks pregnant when we went so it could have something to do with it, but it was a horrible bumpy ride on the ferry and I got really ill. Not something I would want to try with a baby.

But I do encourage you to get off the boat and atleast walk up the pier a little, you may find someone offering a tour that you find interesting or atleast get some fresh air.

My husband and I are going on RC Liberty of the Seas next month with our 1 year old son. It will be our first time on Royal Caribbean and our baby's first cruise (We've been on Princess, NCL, and Discovery). Does anyone have any advice or tips for cruising with a baby?

Secondly, any ideas about what to do with a baby in Cozumel? It looks like most of the shore excursions are to beach clubs. We live in South Florida so the idea of paying to go to a beach seems a little silly to me- all we have to do is drive 10 mins down the street and there are beautiful beaches that are free and probably less crowded. We're are not interested in shopping for souvenirs. I would like to see the Mayan ruins but I think that would be difficult with a 1 yr old. We don't want to have to lug a car seat around so that rules out taking a taxi. Ok, so did I just rule everything out:/

I was thinking about walking to Discover Mexico Park or walking to the downtown area and going to the Cozumel Museum. Does anyone else have any suggestions???

You might want to try out Nacchi Cocom--an all inclusive in cozumel with awesome food, drinks and beach..you pay for an all day pass and just take a cab there..try to look up under cozumelshoreexcursions..great company..have fun

Just got back home today! I will post a few pics tomorrow or the next day...but definatly consider the semisub (sub ocean view)... 11yo had a great time taking pics and figuring out what fish she saw...GingerBaby LOVED it!!! The bubbles and the colorful fish. He wwas 'talking' and making happy sounds the whole time. It was a Big hit with both of them. We really enjoyed it.:D

Pic of "SubOcean View" (as its called on Carnival) SemiSub (I think for Royal)...same excursion.. we had RCI people in with us..they just dropped us off at our pier and said "if your on the Royal ship...just wait and we will take you back to your pier" --Lots of Fish and Bubbles that the Baby Loved... Lots of Fish and Coral for the 11 yo to take pics of and identify (from the picture cards provided) . Well worth the price of admission...

sorry I dont know how to post pics in a larger size then thumbnail..but if you click it comes up a bit bigger...:o

IMG_1328.jpg.3ee7d21a344c2c2893a5be2ca0865844.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg.750ca60463938e14f3fb85ef83ff8ca6.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg.19bcdc7368c6b253ebefd6541e92808d.jpg

IMG_1403.jpg.bbb74f4b400f000665c9f2c6ebf7f048.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg.2e4a4afff8af1ffcfd5cfe3a4288a440.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg.19be9ad47f0b3ae64a4b746eb5eaaff5.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg.709ed11861489eca9b6f386d4c362c1c.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg.cdb540e4608f57a00f2d137f448d4dd7.jpg

Hi we will be going on the voyager of the seas in march withour 3yr old and 10mth old, I was looking at the semisub trip and had a few questions. Our 3yr is a little lively to say the least, how long is this trip? Is it a long ride before you see any fish? He loves fish so will be fine once we get there but am concerened about the ride out. Any advice would be great. I would rather not do the trip than ruin it for others.

the whole trip was maybe an hour...not too long, not too short. As soon as you get in there are things to see... if you point out things on the bottom if the sea. There are bubbles as soon as you start moving. Also inside the boat/sub is decorated with a underwater scene, so you could point out thise as well.

Thanks for the pictures...looks very cool! I think we are going to try the semi sub. I like that is is only an hour, perfect my sons attention span. And it give us time to walk around too.

Is the port area easliy walkable? I think RC is at the International Pier. We were thinking after the sub, go back to the ship lunch/nap and then walk around for an hour or 2. I'm still curious is anyone knows anything about this Discover Mexico Park. The ship has an excursion but when I google it, people says it's only a 15-20 walk from the cruise ship ports (south). Does anyone know if it is any easy walk with a stroller (sidewalks or walking path). They have a discount coupon on their website so it would be like half the price of the cruise's excursion. We are not taking a carseat so we don't want to take a taxi.

Archived